Pages

Friday, July 28, 2023

Winding Down

The problem with a trip that includes a weekend is that I don't get a weekend at the end of it to recover, so it's been a long, tiring week! And the oppressive heat (we're suppose to hit a heat index at or near 100ยบ F this afternoon) does not help things -- I'm feeling very thankful for air conditioning and cool drinks this week!

Yesterday was an especially long day, though thankfully not because of work. My daily morning meeting got cancelled, likely because two of my coworkers were off, so I was able to get out for my walk a little earlier. Then I went to donate blood (I hit the two-gallon mark yesterday!) and ended up having to take a second shower afterward because I got so sweaty walking there and back. It was a bit surreal because the room where the drive was being held was the same room where my wedding reception was held.

This building used to be a private social club, started by Jewish Pittsburghers when they weren't permitted to join other clubs, but with dwindling memberships, it closed a number of years ago and the university I work for bought the building. I'm glad the building has been preserved, but it's still weird for me to think of it; that balcony and the stairs in the back corner are where the Mister and I made our grand entrance.

Crafting is continuing here despite the heat. I've started the third (and final) square of my test knit for Shana, which is simple but so clever!

After this square is knit, there will be an I-cord edging added around the top edge and loop handles created. I'm hoping I'll be able to finish this up in the next couple of days.

On tap for today, workload permitting, is plying these singles, which I finished up last night:

When I split up this fiber, I simply folded the length of top in thirds and broke it apart at the folds, so I didn't do any sort of planning for the colors to match up, so I'm quite curious to see how the finished yarn looks. With any luck, I'll be able to ply the full skein this afternoon.

I'll leave you for today with two amazing stories from my trip to Nashville:

  • I told you about my trip to Parnassus Books, but I did not tell you the dramatic story of what happened afterward. When we finished shopping, we had a bit of a wait for our Uber (traffic in Nashville is ridiculous!), so we went around the corner to a cute donut shop for a snack and a drink. Our Uber came and took us back to the conference center, and I went to my room to FaceTime with Mo. I was showing her my purchases from the outing (I bought a skein of yarn at Haus of Yarn) when I realized I did not have the bag from Parnassus! I panicked, and as soon as I got off the phone with her, I called the donut shop, thinking I'd left the bag there. But they said there was no bag, so then I realized I must've left it in the Uber. I texted my friend Laura, who'd been the one to order the Uber, and she called our driver and left him a voicemail. I figured it was a lost cause and I'd have to go back to the store to replace my purchases the next day. Then, about half an hour later, she texted to let me know that she'd heard from the driver, who had my bag and was bringing it back! I went out to meet him and thanked him profusely, but he brushed it off as if it was nothing. Three cheers for amazing Uber drivers!
  • The biggest draw of attending an event like SSK for me is meeting other crafters from all over. I told you earlier this week about meeting some lovely knitters from other countries, but I also met wonderful people from much closer. On Saturday afternoon, I was knitting upstairs in the main building (the market was open to the general public by then, so I was avoiding the crowds) and chatting with some other attendees, including a mother and daughter pair who had been in my spinning class the previous day. The daughter is entering her senior year of high school, so another attendee, who has worked in college advising in some capacity, came to talk to them about schools they might want to look into. Somehow it came up that this woman is originally from Pittsburgh, so I asked her where, specifically. It turns out that she not only grew up in my neighborhood, she lived around the corner from my childhood house! What's more, she also grew up attending the synagogue where we belong and (are you ready for this?) graduated from the same independent all-girls' school that I did and that Mo goes to now! How is that for an amazing coincidence?!

I hope you're staying cool if the extreme heat has hit your area, and I hope you have a great weekend! I will be back on Monday for my monthly One Little Word check-in.

11 comments:

  1. It might have been a long week but it does sound like it was a good one! That room looks like a lovely place for a reception, but I don't think I've ever donated blood in a room with chandeliers. That bag is even more intriguing and I hope the pattern is released soon. May everyone you encounter this weekend be as kind and thoughtful as the Uber driver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Uber story - I have none except for scary drives!! That bag is very interesting...curious to see the outcome. Here's hoping you can have a restful weekend and catch up a bit - you have been busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Bonny . . . it sounds like you're having a good week despite not having any true recovery time. And that reception space looks just . . . GRAND! I can imagine what a lovely space that would be for your grand entrance. Congratulations on reaching your 2-gallon mark, Sarah. That is a big deal -- and such a generous gift. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got your books back. The story about the meeting is cool. It really IS a small world. Sounds like you met some very nice people on your trip.

    2 Gallon Mark!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stories of meeting knitters and finding connections. I think our zoom knitting group should have a meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic trip stories! (Oh, I was wincing at your lost parcel...I hate it when I do that! Thank goodness it was recovered.) And your blood donation site--gorgeous. What a special connection...special connection*S*, really... (Funny, I was donating blood yesterday, too! But in not nearly a lovely space as you.)
    Wishing you a wonderfully weekend-y weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Listen. You can't show us a picture of your wedding venue in it's current state without showing us a picture of how it looked on your wedding day. Just saying. Three cheers for that Uber driver returning your bag of books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is full of serendipity. Hooray for an honest Uber driver and meeting someone so familiar with your Pittsburgh ties. Keep us posted on the bag and on the spinning. It's extremely hot here. We hit a record for the hottest heat index on Wednesday. Today's index was 114 degrees and I think Wednesday's was three or four degrees higher. Thank you for donating blood. It is a very worthwhile thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thinking this is a most serendipitous post, like Jane! I love when that happens... That grand room where your reception was being the place you reached your 2 gallon milestone... that is so impressive, Sarah! I hope your weekend is relaxing and exactly what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tis a small world, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's always nice to have a reminder of it!

      Delete