Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Unraveled, Week 30/2023

Happy hump day, friends! This week has felt weird, what with my return home on Sunday afternoon; I kept thinking it was already Wednesday yesterday. But today is the day, and it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers!

Despite being at a knitting retreat for several days, I actually did not get all that much knitting done while I was away -- too busy talking and having fun, I suppose! Here's the current status of my WIPs:

I added maybe a section and a half to my Mas Vida Shawl, but I'm still not quite to halfway through my yarn (it's the type of shawl where you increase until you've used about half your yarn and then start decreasing). The sock you see here was cast on in the car on the way to the airport at the beginning of my trip; I finished the toe on Sunday evening at home. This pair is for my mother and is being knit in Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce (I know you're shocked) in the colorway Cosmic. The color isn't quite accurate here -- I'm already noticing that the light isn't as bright in the mornings, sob -- but the good news is that I started the second sock and it looks like the stripes will match up pretty darn closely.

Last night I started a new project, a cute modular bag that I'm test knitting for Shana in three colors of Knit Picks Dishie (I actually had to steal a couple of skeins from Mo!).

The colors are way off here; they're suppose to be a coral and a honeydew green.

I had signed up for this project before I left for my trip, but I'm extra excited about it now that I've actually met Shana in person and gotten to know her a little better. It turns out that she's originally from the same area of suburban Detroit where my aunt and uncle live!

In addition to not getting a lot of knitting done while I was away, my reading also wasn't plentiful, though that was partly because of technical difficulties with the Hoopla app. I've been having issues where it signs me out of the app and then doesn't recognize my username and password, and the only way to fix it seems to be to reset my password. I've gotten in touch with Hoopla about the issue and they're investigating it, but there was nothing I could do when this glitch happened while I was on the plane. As a result of the issue, I have only finished one book since last week, and that is largely due to the reading I've done since I've been home.

The translation of The Postcard just recently came out, so I was excited to find it on Hoopla. This is a book about WWII and the Holocaust in France and about uncovering the truth about family when many forces have conspired to hide it. I'm still not completely sure if this book is meant to be fiction, but it's certainly quite autobiographical. Anne is trying to discover who sent a postcard with the names of four family members who were all killed in the Holocaust and why it was sent, and in the process of investigating this mystery, she uncovers the history of the two generations of her family who came before her. She also reveals a lot about the complicated involvement of France and the French in WWII. There are some heartbreaking details of what happened to Jews in France but also some heartwarming stories of those who fought in the resistance. I gave it 4 stars.

When Hoopla crapped out on me on my return trip home (despite having worked while I was waiting to board my flight in the airport), I started Poverty, by America, which I'd bought not too long ago when it was a daily Kindle deal because the author is part of the upcoming speaker series. I haven't gotten too far in it but have already highlighted quite a lot. It's nice to be reading some nonfiction for a change, even if it's quite devastating nonfiction.

What are you making and reading this week?


13 comments:

  1. Three great projects and they are all very different! I'll be interested in seeing how that bag looks when Shana releases the pattern. I hope hoopla resolves things for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder about Hoopla (why do I always forget to check there???) I have a LONG wait for The Postcard from the library... so thanks Hoopla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Postcard sounds like a book I would like. I'll have to check it out at the bookstore next time I am up in town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished Yellowface and found out that the author is in the lecture series from our library system so I signed up. I will be thinking about this story for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking Postcard might appeal to me...we shall see...I've others in the queue. That sock for your Mom is just so darn pretty - glad you have started #2 and I'm loving your shawl. I'm interested to see the bag you are making and to hear about the yarn - how is it for knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the hoopla trouble and I hope that's not a widespread issue. Have you asked the library about it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Mas Vida shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying knitting it!

      Delete
  8. What great projects, Sarah! As usual, I'm enchanted with your striped socks. If anything could get me interested in knitting socks again, it might be striping yarn! When I go on vacation, I always carefully choose which project(s) I'm going to bring along . . . and then knit very little. (Sometimes not at all!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to seeing more of that test knit. I'm also enjoying the progress on that shawl. That sort of pattern seems to be popular right now. I'm reading After Sappho and really enjoying it. I am knitting a shawl and ripping out a little sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only imagine how frustrating it was to get on board and 'lose' your book! ugh! I really do hate it when my well-laid plans are foiled.
    Even though the colors didn't come through true, they're a fun, cheery combo. Curious to see the project knit up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Modern Mrs. Darcy hosted a chat this afternoon with the translator of The Postcard - it was fascinating. I think the "fiction" label is to give the author leeway with the details. It is certainly very autobiographical - and I'm thinking the key historical plot points are all quite true. Your test knit looks very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those socks! And I'm so happy you were able to read The Postcard -- I kept wondering what was fiction and what was real throughout the novel!

    ReplyDelete