Pages

Monday, January 15, 2024

Staying Warm, or Trying To

It is a frigid Monday morning here in Western Pennsylvania -- the current temperature is 13ºF, but a "feels like" 7º. So I'd say all three of us are happy that we all have today off and don't have to rush out to work and school early. Mo does have an orthodontist appointment a little later this morning, though, so we'll have to bundle up and go out eventually. I'm still deciding if I even want to try to run or just take the week off (we're supposed to have these below-normal temperatures all week).

On Friday, as I hoped, I was able to ply up my first skein of handspun for the year. And after the longest day on Thursday, we got an early dismissal at 2 p.m., so I was able to skein and wash it as well without having to worry about work interrupting me. Here is Lake Tekapo on Bond wool from June of last year, approximately 400 yards of fingering:

We had a fairly low-key weekend, which was desperately needed on my part. Mo was at school for a good portion of the day on Saturday for Future City prep (the regional competition is next weekend), and I spent part of the day doing the usual cleaning and laundry. Yesterday we had nothing on the calendar, though Mo had a bunch of homework to get through, so I sat with her and worked on my sweater. I got to a pretty exciting point in my progress, so I had her help me for the silly pictures:

"Look at my new sweater!"

"Sleeves: Make two."

The second sleeve has since been picked up and started and is well under way. I did end up making some adjustments to the first one, so now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I'm anticipating that sleeve #2 will go faster. It would be great if I could finish it up this week and have a new sweater to wear next weekend! I'm already thinking about my next sweater and have had to stop myself from swatching a couple of times (I just know if I do that, I'll want to start the new one before I finish the current one). While I'm hiding from the cold today, I will for sure be working on the sleeve to get as much done as possible.

Stay warm out there, friends, and see you back here on Wednesday!

11 comments:

  1. Your new skein of yarn is fun! That yellow is bright and cheery! (and go you on that sweater!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cold here, too and I do not like it one bit! Your sweater photos crack me up, good luck with sleeve #2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha - laughing over your sweater pics. Too funny. Your latest handspun is gorgeous! I need/want to pick a pattern for the handspun you sent me - something special I think. Maybe a cowl? Or a small shawl? I will figure it out!! Thank you again. Stay warm - it is brutal out there! I only saw one person walking this morning when I drove over to C&M's. He had a hat, a balaclava AND another mask over his mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooooooooooo.....pretty yarn!

    Isn't it funny how the last parts of any project seem to take FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun colors in that yarn—but even more fun are your pictures!! You brought sunshine to a gray day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you had me for a moment. I thought maybe that sweater had two sleeves. No matter, you probably made some good progress today. The latest handspun skein in beautiful, a spot of color on a very cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that yarn! And your sweater progress! The fit on your sweater looks perfect - nice job! Stay warm today. We're having a snow day due to a snowstorm that's supposed to last all day (not a flurry yet?).

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun photo shoot, Sarah! (You had me fooled . . . ) It won't be long now, and you'll be wearing that sweater for-reals. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweater is so wonderful and I love the pictures 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  10. I instantly got cold seeing those temperatures… that is way too cold!! I am loving your sweater ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for all my hand-knits in this weather!

      Delete