Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Unraveled, Week 3/2024

Good morning, friends! I hope you are all keeping warm this morning. Here, it's a frigid 8ºF, with a "feels like" temp of -5ºF. Mo and I are having a bit of a lazy morning because her school wisely decided last night to have a two-hour delay this morning due to the cold (and notified us of it last night); I think the head of school got a little criticism for not delaying yesterday, when it was cold and snowy and the roads were a mess. It works out quite well because she has a dentist appointment at 9 this morning and was already going to be late, but now she won't actually miss any class. So we'll still need to go out in the cold, but at least it'll be after the sun comes out and it won't be quite as cold as it would if we left for school at the normal time.

As it's Wednesday, that means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers and to give you an update on my making and my reading. What I'm making isn't going to be a surprise; I'm pretty much exclusively working on my sweater. The good news is that you won't have to hear about it for much longer because I am in the home stretch on sleeve number two!


The color is appearing a bit darker here than it is in real life, and that's just because the sun isn't quite up yet, so I didn't get the best lighting for this photo. But if you click to enlarge it, you'll see that the second sleeve is more than halfway done (if you consider the the rounds are getting smaller as I approach the cuff). Provided I can keep up the pace, I think this should be done by the end of the week.

Reading has been good this past week! I've finished two good books.

I had picked up Doppelganger: A Trip into the Mirror World when I was in a Barnes & Noble in Florida and was intrigued by it, so when I saw it was a Kindle deal earlier this month, I bought it. The initial premise is the author's exploration of how people constantly seemed to be confusing her with Naomi Wolf, a particularly troubling occurrence as Wolf went further and further into the world of COVID-related conspiracy theories. But Klein goes beyond this confusion into examining how people have been drawn to such theories over time, and not just related to the pandemic, and how the internet and the proliferation of disinformation have led so many to accept them. It's almost impossible to try to describe this book other than to say that it made me think a lot and that I think it's one I'm going to have to reread at some point because I'm sure I've missed some important points. I also have to mention that though this book was published before the start of the current situation in Israel and Palestine, there's a section about the historical conflict that truly changed my perspective on the region and made me think about this in a different way. This isn't a book that's going to be for everyone (and be forewarned that Klein is very overtly anti-capitalism, so there is definitely a political lens to her commentary), but it's a fascinating read that I'd recommend if it sounds interesting to you. I gave it 4 stars.

My other finish this week was an ARC from NetGalley. The Safekeep takes place in the Netherlands in the early 1960s. The main character, Isabel, is living alone in the house that she, her mother, and her two brothers moved into in 1944 after it was purchased for them by their uncle. Her life is disrupted when her older brother's newest girlfriend, Eva, comes to stay with her when the brother has to go abroad for work. At first, Isabel is bitter about the imposition and unfriendly toward Eva, but soon she is strangely drawn to her. Remembering how her mother rejected her younger brother when he revealed his attraction to other men, she is troubled by this and fights herself over it, but the emotions soon become too much for her to ignore. Just as Isabel comes to accept this new truth about herself, however, she realizes that Eva may have been hiding something about herself and how she wound up in this house with Isabel that throws everything into doubt. This is a story about self-discovery and sexuality but also about the war and identity and who owns property. It is written in a very spare style, with much more left unsaid and unwritten than what is on the page. I gave it 4 stars.
I received a digital ARC of this book from Avid Reader Press/Simon & Schuster in return for an honest review. This book will be published May 28, 2024.

I'm currently reading The Poisonwood Bible on paper and listening to another ARC, Laurie Frankel's forthcoming Family Family.

Today, after I take Mo to the dentist and school, I'm scheduled for my first blood donation of the year. Please send good thoughts for a qualifying hemoglobin number and that I don't turn into a popsicle on my way there!

18 comments:

  1. So close on the finish of your sweater! It looks great and I'm sure this week will see it completed. The Safekeep sounds interesting. It is brutally cold out there today - be safe in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you get that sweater done today! Stay warm outside... the walk with Sherman this morning was bone-chilling and we were both bundled up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a solid hemoglobin number AND no popsicle-ing today! Your sweater is so close to DONE now, Sarah, that you'll be wearing it in no time. (And I am so tired of this bitter cold. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birch is indeed beautiful, and I bet we'll be seeing a modeled photo soon (where both sleeves are completed)! Doppelganger sounds really interesting. I have often wondered how we've gone from trusting science, data, and established facts to believing wild conspiracy theories. I think I will take a look at it when I'm caught up with all the ARCs I need to finish first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try to stay warm. We are up to a balmy 19°! I'm heading out to the dentist too. I'd much rather stay in my house and drink tea all day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so close with that sweater! Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting really excited about wearing it now!

      Delete
  7. I’m also a NetGalley reader, I found some really good books through it. I don’t tend to publicise them until they’re published though. I wonder if we’ve read any of the same? I’m going to check out that book and see if I fancy the PDF as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be pretty picky about the books I request because I always feel a huge pressure to read them and leave feedback right after I get them, but I've read some really good books this way. If you go over to my Goodreads account, you'll see have a NetGalley bookshelf.

      Delete
  8. Yeah… you’re almost finished with your sweater 👏 , it’s going to be perfect. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there, and I can't wait to wear it!

      Delete
  9. It looks like that sweater will be finished in no time! And I hope Mo had a good dentist appointment and you didn't freeze going to donate blood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're almost done! Look at that! Boy, try to get light for anything these days... And yarn color is so sensitive to it.
    I just deleted a whole bunch here and decided to email you instead, re: hemoglobin. I did also want to say, though, your summary of Safekeep really piques my interest, and something about it set in The Netherlands in the '60's is particularly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sweater is getting so close!! How exciting to be closing in on the end, finally!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Playing catchup - and is it just me, or are the colors in the yarn you just spun quite similar to the socks you're knitting? Obviously, it's combo you love, and it does read "blue skies and sunshine" so that's good, too! Glad to read how loved Doppelganger - I've had it on Libby hold for a while ... need to check on it! and I just finished Frankel's This Is How it Always Is (from 2017 I think) and wow. just wow. I can only hope Family Family lives up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are making great progress on the second sleeve of the sweater. I always think the second sleeve goes faster. Maybe that is because the decisions about decreases were made on the first sleeve and so I just knit the second one. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sweater looks beautiful, I love the colours ! ( and saw on instagram that they look really good on you ). Thanks for the book revies, I saw that Doppelganger is also translated into Dutch, so I put it on my tbr-list ( with something that complicated I always go for the translation ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Doppelganger to be complicated enough in my native language -- I cannot even begin to imagine trying to read it in another one, so I think you are wise to read it in Dutch!

      Delete