Pages

Monday, March 19, 2007

Taking Stock

First, consider this your monthly reminder to come out and join the Hurricane Knitters at our monthly meeting, this Wednesday, March 21, starting at about 7 p.m. in the cafe of the Waterworks Barnes & Noble. All fiber and 40 fans are welcome!

* * * * *
Although I've missed the two-month mark, finishing (the knitting, at least) J's sweater has inspired me to review my yarn "diet" and see just how well or poorly I've been doing since instituting The Rules. I went back through the archives to see just how much yarn has entered the stash and how much has left it. Let's take a look:

Skeins In since 1/10/07 (and source):
2 skeins Knit Picks Sock Memories (from Sockret Pal)
2 skeins Knit Picks Gossamer (from Sockret Pal)
2 skeins Lily Sugar & Cream (for Sockret Pal)
2 skeins Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (purchased at knitting festival)
2 skeins Brown Sheep Wildfoote (purchased at knitting festival)
1 skein Brooks Farm Four Play (purchased at knitting festival)
1 skein Autumn House Farm sock yarn (purchased at knitting festival)
1 skein Socks That Rock Mediumweight (Rockin' Sock Club)
1 skein Colinette Jitterbug (purchased with gift card)
1 skein Austermann Step (purchased with gift card)
1 skein Koigu KPPPM (purchased with gift card)

Total skeins in: 16
Total skeins purchased with my own money: 9
Note: I did not include in this tally the yarn for J's sweater, as it was ordered before The Rules were instituted, or the STR I ordered on my birthday, as it is not yet physically in the stash.

By comparison ...

Skeins Out since 1/10/07 (and project):
2 skeins Regia (Jaywalkers)
2 skeins Pace (J's Valentine's socks)
2 skeins Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (Sockret Pal's socks)
1 skein Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (sent to Sockret Pal)
2 skeins Lily Sugar & Cream (sent to Sockret Pal)
2 skeins Cascade Fixation (sent to Sockret Pal)
2 skeins Knit Picks Sock Memories (Monkey socks)
2 skeins Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern)
1 skein Austermann Step (Widdershins)
1 skein Online Supersocke (Plain Vanilla Socks)
6 skeins Cascade 220 (Cambridge Jacket for J)
1 skein Knit Picks Essential (sock not yet seen on this blog)

Total skeins out: 24
Overall effect on stash: -8 (down 8 skeins!)

Not bad at all, if I do say so myself. We'll see in another two months if I can do as well or better.

Meanwhile, since I finished up the biggest project, I've moved back to all the smaller WIPs. Foremost among these is my first sock for the Rockin' Sock Club. Here it is as of last night:

I don't mean to be crass, but what does this look like to you? Thank goodness it stretches out when it's on the foot and doesn't look quite so, um, phallic.

I must admit that I'm not wild about this pattern and I kind of want to frog and knit something else. But, I did join the sock club in order to try new things, including the patterns. If I'd wanted to just knit with STR, I'd have just ordered the yarn, right? I will make myself work on these and hopefully will enjoy them more once I get to the cabling. I plan on bringing this sock on Wednesday and will be letting anyone who asks squeeze the STR!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that sock looks a little...pervy. I think you're doing great on the yarn diet! As for myself, we're going to CT at the end of the week and my MIL wants to take me to a few yarn shops, so I think I will give in to temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe I'll have to tell you Wednesday what I call the socks when my kids are not around to hear. I am past the heel turn and on to the cuff. I am doing a different cuff though because I did not like the large cable. Too bulky and too much pain in the butt. I kept dropping stitches and stuff. I am just going to continue the ribbing and then wear it as a cuff down sock.

    ReplyDelete