Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Gah!

I was planning a really happy post this evening about how wonderfully my Forecast was knitting up and how gnomes must be at work because it was knitting up so quickly. I was planning to be all sunshine and daisies and Ain't Life Grand, waxing poetic about how fabulous this sweater was and what a genius I was for making the modifications.

That's what I was planning. That is not what this post is going to be like.

Why the change, you ask? Well, last night at knitting, I made the fatal error of laying out the sweater for a big-picture look at my progress before packing the thing up to go home. And that's when I saw it:

Looks fine to you? Let's just zoom in a bit at the offending part:

NOOOOOOOOOOO! You would think I would have missed crossed a cable further down (keep in mind this is a top-down construction), when I was supposedly so used to the pattern that I didn't need to pay attention. Apparently not. Apparently my brain decided to shut off right as I was starting the cabling and fail me on my third cable turn -- and then apparently fail again and again to the point that I didn't even notice this mis-crossed cable every time I came to it.

Fortunately this discovery was made in the presence of Jenn, Fixer of Mis-Crossed Cables Extraordinaire. She reminded me of how she had documented the fix she performed on an errant cable cross in The MWP's sweater, a post that later wound up in an issue of Yarnival. When I expressed concern that I couldn't unravel and reknit the way she did on account of the cable being right along the edge, she reminded me that the very talented Cara had actually taken scissors to her cable and had documented it on her blog.

So, tonight there will be swatching and practice surgery in preparation for the real thing (kind of like how Christina had Burke practice surgery on chickens on Grey's). I will be documenting the whole process here, so all you faint of heart, be prepared.

7 comments:

  1. Argh! Frustrating, but I'm glad there's a fix for it. I will be one of those averting my eyes, for I have a fear of the cutting of knitted yarn (but blood? bring it on!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, surgery! I know you can do it! You should make J be your surgical assitant. You can ask for clamps and scalpels and whatnot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I forgot to mention that I ripped the sock I was working on last night back to the toe and now it's going to be a plain old sock. The yarn was starting to pool weird, instead of spiraling up and around, the pattern straight up for a few rows and then started spiraling back the other direction. Gah indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the outcome of the surgery. I would be so scared to try and fix a miscrossed cable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:25 PM

    It's scary like steeking. Gives me the heebie-jeebies like chewing on wool.

    But you are a knitting genius, so I know you'll be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Good Luck, and thanks for offering to share...I hope it doesn't get too bloody!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it! Go, SJ!!

    ReplyDelete