Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Yarn: Cascade 220 Tweed, color 7601 (green), one skein, and Cascade 220 Wool, color 8401 (gray), approximately 1/2 a skein
Needles: 32" US 5 (3.75 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: January 10/January 20
Mods: none, except for changes in my procedure (see below)
For the first sweater, I followed EZ's directions verbatim. They work just fine, but I wasn't satisfied with the fact that the fronts near the button band at the bottom weren't completely identical because of the way the stitches were picked up after working on the center stitches for 10 ridges. Basically one side looked neater because stitches were picked up with the right side facing, whereas for the other side, I picked the stitches up in purl, resulting in a small section where the garter ridge becomes stockinette for a row or two.
For the second sweater, I followed recommendations I found on someone's blog or Ravelry post (I'm sorry I can't remember where and give the credit where it's due). When I got to the point where I was ready to work the center stitches only for 10 ridges, I cut the working yarn, slid the first group of stitches (that weren't going to be worked) to the right needle, rejoined the yarn, and began working back and forth. Once the 10 ridges were complete, I cut the yarn again, slid the end stitches back to the left needle, rejoined the yarn, and worked the next row from the beginning. This allows you to pick up stitches on both sides of the center panel in the same row, from the right side, and creates a much more even look. It also creates a few more ends to weave in, but that's not such a big deal.
The third BSJ was cast on last night and is already well on its way (I've just started stripe 3 of 5). I'll be working on it for the rest of my day off, and I have high hopes of having a completed trio of sweaters by next weekend!