Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

If She's a Conehead, She'll Be All Set

In the absence of any baby to model my latest finished project, I had to make do with what I could find around the house, so I hope you'll forgive my choice of Elmer the Elephant. His head was too small to fill it out properly, but he was a good sport about it.

Pattern: Norwegian Sweet Baby Cap by Gro
Yarn: my handspun, Navajo-plied wool top from Lorna's Laces
Needles: 32" US 1 (2.5 mm) Knit Picks circular, magic looped
Started/Completed: August 12/August 14
Mods: omitted the straps and knit the whole thing on the same size needles

The pattern calls for using two colors of yarn to stripe, but I thought it was the perfect opportunity to use some of my self-striping yarn. It's amazing how watching one color progress to another never seems to get old.

This knit was a bit tough on the hands, as the yarn is really heavier than fingering and I was knitting it at a pretty bulletproof gauge. The fiber (and the resulting yarn) also weren't particularly soft, so I'm thinking about fulling the hat a bit to make it a bit softer and fit for a baby's head. Still, it was worth it, and I can't wait to see little Rainbow in this aptly named sweet baby cap.

The best part of all? There was plenty of yarn leftover to make a matching pair of booties (still in progress, but every bit as adorable).

11 comments:

  1. oh what a beautiful hat! I love this pattern and I agree that it is perfect to showcase a beautiful yarn. I have made a couple with Koigu. Lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute - I so love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a perfect use for that yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? No baby yet? What's the hold up? Hurry up!! :-)

    Love the hat -- it'll be super cute on the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:18 AM

    Gorgeous work as usual! Rainbow is going to be one stylish babe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you & the hubby need matching hats so you can be a whole conhead family. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:16 AM

    That is just the cutest hat ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice hat! Elmer did a perfectly acceptable job of modeling, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I personally think you should put a feather in it and call her Rainbow Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:40 AM

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete