Pages

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Mother of Pearl

After the whirlwind that was the Tour de Fleece, I lost a bit of my spinning mojo. After all, I'd done so much of it that I was ready to get back to my knitting. However, this weekend, I forced myself to get back to the wheel to finish what was in progress at the end of the Tour -- this superwash merino from the Dyeing Arts, purchased from the Loopy Ewe. The colorway is called Mother of Pearl.

Once we found out Rainbow was a girl, I knew I wanted to spin this fiber up into a yarn that could be used to knit something for her. I ended up with a sportweight/DK-weight two ply, totaling approximately 205 yards.

I love how in some areas the colors matched up and in some areas they barberpoled. It'll be interesting to see how this knits up.

I had a significant amount left on one bobbin after plying, but I was too lazy to try to ply from both ends for more two ply, so I simply chain plied the remainder. The resulting three ply is approximately worsted weight, and the skein managed to get horribly tangled in the finishing process, which is why I don't have it in a pretty skein in this photo. However, as it's only about 28 yards, it should be easy enough to untangle when I decide what to do with it.


I haven't decided yet what to knit with the main skein. I don't think it's enough for a sweater, so perhaps a hat and mitten set will be in order. I'm open to suggestions!

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I think that a hat and mittens would be perfect for winter walks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a Toasty Topper? I love that colorway soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'm sure whatever you make will be perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Perfect for another baby sweater???? How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:10 PM

    I'm a lurker, but I have to chime in. Think you have enough for a little long-sleeved shrug? I had 2 for my daughter (who is now 14 mos.) and wore them on her ALL winter. One was a pull-over and the other a cardi-shrug with 2 buttons. They are great to put over a short-sleeved onesie or to add on top any outfit!

    ReplyDelete