Pages

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Variations on a Theme

It's Wednesday, and unfortunately I didn't make it to knit night tonight, but we are back in our house, so things are good. We won't be able to move the furniture back in until probably the weekend, but at least I can sleep in my own bed.

But you're not here to hear about my house or my furniture, you're here for the knitting, right? Okay, well I have some knitting for you in the form of some finished Man Socks (tm).

This is the first pair of the trio that will be our "family socks" this winter. I decided to start with the Mister's, because his are, of course, the biggest and the most boring. I thought I'd at least jazz up his usual preferred pattern by doing a 2x2 rib all the way down the leg and on the instep.

Because this yarn was a little on the thin side, however, my standard recipe for man socks needed a little tweaking. I started with my usual needles (US 1.5/2.5 mm) for the leg, but the stitches looked a little loose for my taste, so I went down to US 0 (2.0 mm) needle for the foot. I also decreased the total number of stitches from 68 for the leg to 64 for the foot.

I made the heel flap rather long, resulting in what felt like the world's longest gusset.


The full details:
Pattern: 2x2 rib worked over 68 sts for the leg and 64 sts for the foot
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock (100% superwash merino), colorway Boticelli* Red, less than one skein
Needles: two 12" US 1.5 (2.5 mm) and two 16" US 0 (2.0 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: September 21/October 6

This morning I cast on for my socks, which will be exactly the same except smaller (obviously) and with cable twists instead of ribs. Judging from how much yarn was left over after completing this pair, there should be plenty for at least one pair for Rainbow. Perhaps I'll make her a pair to match both variations!

*Yes, that's the way it's spelled on the label!

9 comments:

  1. The socks look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, hopefully, we will get a picture of all six feet together sometime later this year, right? Those gussets on larger socks go on forever and ever and the bad thing for me is that something takes over in me and I can't stop knitting until the gusset is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Lucky Mister

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to hear you are home! It's hard enough to sleep when pregnant... let alone in a strange bed.

    Lovely socks as usual! I think rainbow is going to have the luckiest and cutest baby feet ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Make sure you do a photo shoot after Rainbow is born of all of your feet in matching socks! (You could have her wear one in his variation and one in yours for the ultimate in cuteness!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:26 PM

    Nice socks! I love that you're making family socks; that's just so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, being back at home! Having hardwood floors refinished really sucks, but the payoff is huge! I did think the Malabrigo sock yarn seemed a little on the thin size. Someday, I will knit with the skeins I have in my stash. Eventually ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great socks! Glad that you're back at home. Hope the floors turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this color, I've almost bought it so many times!:)

    ReplyDelete