Pages

Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Black Purl

It's Sunday, so it's time to show off my latest spinning. This was a bump of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Wool Top that I picked up at Natural Stitches during the Tour de Fleece spin-in back in July. It was five ounces of superwash merino in a beautiful black/purple/gray colorway called Black Purl. I spun it up into a three ply that's about an aran weight and approximately 235 yards.

I'm pleased with how it turned out if a bit disappointed by the yardage. I was planning on using this yarn for a sweater for Rainbow, though I'm not sure if I have enough. Anyone know a good baby sweater using a little more than 200 yards?

I've recently realized that my spinning time is likely dwindling (I doubt I'll get much time behind the wheel once the baby comes), so I felt I had to be very discerning in what I chose to spin next. I picked a fun one, I think: the All Spun Up merino/bamboo/silk I won during the TdF. I'm aiming for a two-ply laceweight (so I should be busy with this for a while).


I love how this fiber shines, so I'll be enjoying spinning it, even if it does take me what seems like forever.

Now, in the latest chapter of the story I like to call "The Joys of Home Ownership," I think I mentioned that we were having our wood floors refinished. We thought we'd planned it out really well so that we'd only have to be out of the house (and moved in with my parents) for a long weekend. Unfortunately, it seems the workmen didn't plan quite as well as we did. The floors apparently soaked up more polyurethane than they were expecting and they ran out (after finishing the first coat at about 9 p.m. on Friday). Then, it seems there are only two distributors in the city that sell this particular polyurethane, and both of them were closed this weekend. So the guys won't be back until tomorrow to do the second coat, which means that we probably won't be able to move back into the house until Wednesday. The Mister and I went over for a bit earlier today to pick up some more clothes (as well as my computer and camera), and I spent a little bit of time with my wheel. I missed it. I'm looking forward to things getting back to normal this week!

8 comments:

  1. The Baby Boatneck sweater by Debbie Bliss uses between 200 and 400 yds depending on what size you make. It's not the most creative sweater pattern-wise but it looks nice when it is done and is super fast. It's what is shown an my 'emergency baby sweater' on my raverly project page. I have the pattern if you're interested and can bring it to knitting this week if you will be there. Sorry I wasn't able to magic link for you on ravelry. Haven't tried it yet and am not that technologically astute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vests are very useful baby garments to have, and you should have plenty of yarn for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do one of those One-Skein Wonder thingies for Rainbow Bright:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's hoping the Floor Dudes can finish quickly! I love the colors of both things you are spinning. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a hat and legwarmers? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about the baby bolero in One Skein? I just double-checked it on Rav, and it only uses 150 yards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that looks just like the 'Black Purl' shepherd sock yarn so I say it looks fabulous! The floors? Everything ALWAYS takes longer than the contractor says it will although this one sounds like a legitimate reason. You don't want Rainbow ingesting any of those fumes anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Such pretty yarn! How about the Little Sister Sweater by Amy King (Spunky Eclectic) http://www.spunkyhats.com/boogie_lilsis.htm
    I made the 0-3 month size using less than 200 yards.

    ReplyDelete