Pages

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

MDSW 2014: The Loot

Every year that I go to MDSW, I try to be restrained in my purchases. After all, I have what some might call a very well-curated stash and certainly don't need anything else. But there are always such lovely things, many of which I can't get locally, so I usually take the opportunity to buy in person and save on shipping from ordering online. Plus, most of the vendors are small businesses -- and it's good to keep small fiber-based businesses in business, right?

Here's a look at the sum total of this year's haul:


As you can see, I stuck mostly to spinning stuff this year. Let's take a look in more detail.

First, there was 2 oz. total of punis from Gourmet Stash. The hot pink colorway is called Kick Your Teeth In Pink and is a blend of 40% merino, 30% yak, and 30% silk.


The light pink colorway is a limited edition called Sakura Luxe Redux and is a blend of superfine merino, merino, seacell, cashmere, silk, milk fiber, and angelina.


Then, I picked up another 85% polwarth/15% silk batt (in a colorway called "The Bird Girl") from Into the Whirled. (The funny thing is that I picked out two other batts before this one -- in the same two colorways I purchased the past two years!)


At Hobbledehoy, I picked up a bag of eight "battlings" -- mini batts in a lovely blend of merino, yak, silk, soysilk, and sparkle. As you can see, I've already started spinning them up (I'm going to do one ply each of the blues and greens and then ply them together).


And then I picked up two 4 oz. braids of fiber specifically for sock yarn. This is 4 oz. of BFL from Gale's Art in a bright, but unnamed, colorway:


And this is 4 oz. of Falkland in Flowering Courtyard from Three Waters Farm:


The lone skein of yarn was one skein of Jill Draper Makes Stuff Esopus, a springy four-ply light fingering that comes in a very generous put-up of 500 yards. This color is called Greyhound.


I'd say I did pretty well overall, wouldn't you? Now the challenge will be to spin and knit all of this up before MDSW 2015 so I can buy more!

2 comments:

  1. when you spin the punis will you please do a show-and-tell on what it looks like as you are spinning? i'm really intrigued by them! great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jen showed me hers, but I am baffled at what is actually done with them!

    ReplyDelete