Thursday, August 14, 2014


I'm in one of those states where I want to knit everything but can't decide on anything. I'm itching to cast on new things, but I also feel like I should finish up what's on the needles. It's a frustrating conundrum.

I finished and washed my swatch for Rainbow's Magnolia in Bloom on Tuesday. My gauge is just a tiny bit off (I'm getting 25 stitches over 4 inches rather than 24), but I think the fabric would be too loose if I went up a needle size. The yarn I'm using (Cascade Heritage) is a bit on the thin side of fingering, which no doubt is the issue. So I'm going to compensate for the gauge issue by knitting her a size 6 rather than a size 5. If it's a bit loose on her, it's much less of a problem than it being too tight, and knitting it a bit large might mean that she'll still fit into it in the spring. I'd like to cast on for this sweater tonight, but I think a read-through of the pattern is in order first, especially as the designer is not a native speaker of English. (Oh hell, who am I kidding? I'm going to dive right in and read later.)

I also managed to finish up the pair of socks I had on the needles (the ones that are a new design that I can't show you). The first submission of the pattern was not successful, so now I'm knitting up a new swatch -- essentially a scaled-down version of the whole sock -- to try again. If the second try fails as well, I'll be self-publishing, using the socks I just finished as my sample.

The lingering WIPs are my two-color handspun brioche cowl (which I knit a few rounds of last night) and my long-suffering Sople. I think I might force myself to finish Sople before I allow myself to cast on for the new sweater in the Dream in Color yarn. There really isn't all that much left to do, and it would be nice to have a new sweater all ready for fall. I'm not sure what my problem with this WIP is, in all honesty.

I suppose the reason I can't decide what to knit and simultaneously want to cast on for All The Things is because my knitting time this week has been limited due to a lot of time spent pattern writing. The good news is that I should have two new patterns ready for testing in the next week or so (fingers crossed!). Of course, that just means I have to move on to the next things -- which I've already determined need to be on a smaller scale to give my brain a bit of a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment