Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Back to Sweater Knitting

As soon as I mentioned working on my sweater the other night, it seemed to light a fire under me. I've spent the last two evenings working on it, and I'll probably do so tonight as well. When I put it away last night, I'd just finished the raglan increases and started the round where I'll put the sleeve stitches on waste yarn. I'm very happy about that, because those rounds were getting long (each one was taking me about 15 minutes)! That's the tricky part about top-down raglans -- they seem so fast at first because you're only working on a relatively small number of stitches, but when you're increasing your stitch count by eight every other round, the piece starts to get big very quickly.

I call this composition "Gray Sweater Blob on Gray Duvet in Horrible Lighting"

This doesn't look all that much like a sweater at the moment because all those stitches are bunched up on a 32 in. circular needle, but once I've separated the sleeves from the body, I should get a much better idea of what it will look like. I suspect the body will move along a bit faster than the yoke because I won't have to worry about increasing every other round. I must admit that I haven't yet read through the rest of the pattern, so I don't know if there's waist shaping at all, but even if there is, it's likely to be minimal.

It looks like we're going to be pretty lucky and most of the big winter storm that's coming is going to miss us (I've heard estimates of 1-3 in. and 3-6 in. total), but it still looks like it will be another good weekend to curl up with my knitting. Assuming the roads aren't too bad, the Mister is planning to take Rainbow skiing on Saturday, which means I'll have the whole day to knit, spin, and basically do whatever I want (I suspect I'll have to do some adulting in the form of laundry and cleaning the house, but I'll try to keep that to a minimum). I will say that while I'm sick of winter -- the cold, the snow, the lack of light -- I do rather enjoy being forced to stay inside with my wool. People look at you kind of funny when you want to do it in the middle of the summer, but it seems totally logical and normal this time of year.

If you're in the path of the storm, I hope you stay safe and have plenty of food and wool for the duration!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like the yoke of top-down raglans are kind of a black hole-they always seem to take forever, between the ever-increasing number of stitches and trying to keep track of the increases! I love the moment after putting the sleeve stitches on waste yarn-that one round feels like such a milestone!

    ReplyDelete