Pages

Friday, March 08, 2024

Ending the Week with Smiles

Does it feel to anyone else like it's been a very long week? It hasn't even been a particularly busy one, but yet the days have seemed to crawl by and I've been expecting it to be Friday the past couple of mornings when I've woken up. We've finally made it, though, and I thought I'd finish up the week by sharing some happy things.

First, Mo has a new pair of socks (which she just might need this weekend, when there is yet again snow -- albeit of the nonsticking variety -- in the forecast):


I didn't do anything special with these -- I didn't even bother trying to get the stripes to match up! They're my usual sock recipe worked over 64 stitches, with a heel flap and gusset and a wedge toe. They are a bit roomy on her for now, which isn't a problem at all, as she only wears her hand-knit socks around the house, but they do give her some space to grow. You can't see the sparkle at all in the photo, unfortunately, but trust me, it's there and it's delightful.

Another happy thing: playing with handspun. I swatched with my Rambouillet, measured my swatch, gave it a good soak, left it to dry, and measured it again. I was very close on gauge before washing and it changed just a tiny bit (I'm spot on for stitch gauge and off by half a row per inch on row gauge). More importantly, I discovered that this yarn is a delight to work with and creates a lovely fabric, so I'm going to have a very nice sweater out of it. And as the socks were done and I needed another mostly mindless project on the needles, I wound up my most recent skein of handspun and started a Hitchhiker.

Can you tell it was gloomy outside when I took this photo?

I have to admit that I was peer-pressured to start knitting with this handspun by several members of the Southern Cross Fibre Ravelry group, but I don't regret it at all. I've knit a bit more since I took this photo, and I'm getting a lovely subtle rainbow that is making me very happy indeed.

The next happy thing is something I totally forgot to share on Monday. Last weekend we had a big dinner with some family friends -- friends we've known since the summer before I started first grade and my brother was a newborn. These are friends we've gone on vacation and celebrated holidays with over the years, and now that there are three generations involved, it's harder and harder to find a time when everyone is free. But amazingly we all were last Saturday night, and it was great to see everyone. Most of all, it was great to see my brother and nephew arrive in the coordinating old man-style sweaters I made them:

Yes, I did stick his hand in his pocket for this photo.

I hope you appreciate that it took three women making absolute fools of themselves to get my nephew's attention for this photo:

The final happy thing? Tomorrow is my birthday! It's not a big birthday (to be honest, I don't really care so much about turning another year older except that I don't love the next number and am sorry that I will no longer be the answer to everything). I also told my family that I didn't really want a big to-do, but I like being with them and would like to have cake. Tonight the three of us are going out to one of our favorite restaurants; tomorrow we're having the Mister's side of the family over (except for my brother-in-law, who will be out of town -- presumably to celebrate his half-birthday because he is exactly 6 months older than i); and on Sunday, we'll have an early dinner at my parents' with my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. I'm hoping to get some of the household chores done today so that I can have Saturday to myself, and I'll plan to cast on for my new sweater then.

I hope you have an enjoyable weekend, whatever you have planned -- be sure to eat a piece of cake in my honor!

14 comments:

  1. This is a terrific post full of good things! I love Mo's socks and I'm sure she does, too, and that swatch looks almost delicious. The photo of your brother and his son is great, especially when accompanied by the wider view. And Happy Birthday tomorrow! It sounds like you have a lovely weekend planned to celebrate and I would be happy to enjoy cake in your honor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has felt like a long week here as well and I am glad that we have finally arrived at Friday! Yay for those fun socks! But that photo of those boys in their old man sweaters!! (Only improved by the wide shot! LOL) So so cute! :)

    I think handspun yarn makes the most beautiful Hitchhikers! And I can't wait to see you new sweater! (the swatch looks great!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up yesterday sure that it was Friday and that never happens to me! I love that photo of your brother and nephew in their sweaters and the story photo of how you captured it. Happy Birthday, Sarah! I hope you have fun celebrating with good food, family, friends and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday weekend, Sarah! I will do my very best to eat a piece of cake in your honor :).
    I particularly love that you did *not* match up the stripes on Mo's dazzling socks. Won't those be fun to wear...
    And that photo of taking the photo! The best! Well, that and the matching. And the sweet baby face.
    Gosh, just so much good stuff. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:38 AM

    So many happy things in this post! Happiest of birthdays to you and I will happily have cake in your honor! That photo of your brother and his son in their matching sweaters is just priceless!! Enjoy your birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang - anonymous is me. Not sure why I need to put my name in each time now. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many good things . . . but that photo of your brother and nephew in their "man sweaters?" Oh. The sweetness! XO When my kids were in high school and it was prom time, we used to often host the pre-prom photo sessions in our garden. The funniest photos were always the ones I took of all the parents taking all their prom photos! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! And the matching sweaters are great but the photo of you all trying to get a picture is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday. Funny thing ..................I was thinking I might have cake today and you pushed the "think" right out of it. I'm having CAKE and it will be in your honor. Hope you have a great time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy your birthday weekend. That photo of your brother and nephew is absolutely precious, and well worth your efforts to keep your nephew engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HB2U! I love that you showed the back story of the delightful photo of your brother and nephew. We will do anything to get a good shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that we have that shot, too.

      Delete
  12. Whatever three women had to do to get the smiles in that photo yielded terrific results. Happy Birthday. I hope you enjoy that family-filled weekend and find time to cast on the sweater. I look forward to seeing more of the hitchhiker. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hands in the pockets. No amount of women-coaxing did that. pure genetics. and so totally delightful I can hardly stand it :-) I hope your birthday was totally delightful, too!

    ReplyDelete