Pages

Monday, March 04, 2024

Figuring Out What's Next

Good morning, friends! I'll admit I'm a little bleary this morning after a not-great night of sleeping (first there was snoring, then there were loud neighbors outside very early), but I've got a big mug of coffee with my second cup in it and am as ready as I can be to start a new week.

I ended up spending quite a lot of the weekend cleaning and organizing. My closet was the main target. For too many years, I'd been shoving stuff into the back corner -- things that needed to be dry cleaned or hand washed or given away -- and I promptly forgot about them. It was like a black hole. But aside from the fact that I couldn't see what was in there, I also knew that I'd had some issues with m*ths and knew there were some (store-bought) sweaters in there that I didn't want to continue to attract the buggers. I've also been on a ThredUP kick lately and have been trying to clear out clothes I no longer wear or that no longer fits. I did find several sweaters that had been eaten and general yuckiness. But I also pulled everything out off the floor of the closet, vacuumed, and reorganized. Now I can see everything that's in there, I've got a box ready to send off, two bags went to textile recycling, and I have a pile of things to hand wash before I decide if they will stay or go.

That clean-out was badly needed, but because I was so focused on that, I didn't spend as much time as I'd hoped on crafting or on deciding what to cast on next. I did, however, pull out several options for sweaters, so now I just have to make a decision. Here are the options:

Sorry for not taking them out of the bags, but I'm being extra careful given what I found in the closet yesterday. These are all sweater possibilities -- four of the five options are handspun, and I have patterns in mind for all but one of them. I just have to decide how mindless or mindful of a knit I want to do next.

In the meantime, I did find time to ply a skein of handspun this weekend:

This is Island Sunset on grey Merino from Southern Cross Fibre (the grey base is what gives the color that tweedy look). I chain-plied it and ended up with approximately 438 yards of fingering. And I love this! I have no idea what I'll do with it, but this seems to want to become a shawl of some sort -- at some point.

The first order of business for today, however, is going to the dentist to get my tooth fixed! Then I hope to get out for a run because it's sunny and beautiful outside and we might match or even break a record high today! Oh, and of course there's work, which I suppose is important, too.

Have a good one, friends!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:57 AM

    Island Sunset is beautiful!!! And I agree it would be perfect for a shawl. Sorry about the "situation" you discovered in your closet...but lucky you did the clean-out. Looks like you have some good possibilities for your next sweater too. Hope all goes well at the dentist today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous! ;-) That clean-out has been badly needed for a long time, and it feels good to have gotten it done. There's still more to do around the house, but things are moving in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. I spent some time in my closet as well this weekend! Black Hole is a perfect descriptor! LOL Happy Monday and I hope the dentist is quick and pain-free! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Closet cleaning is rarely glamorous but it's certainly worthwhile if you can protect against m*ths. That handspun is lovely and colorful, and a welcome sight on a grey day. We had sun yesterday but not a bit today and will have rain for much of the week. Enjoy a beautiful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! M*ths! The worst!

    Good luck at the dentist this morning. It will be nice to feel like yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that new yarn is beautiful! A+ on tackling the closet, even knowing what was probably facing you in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the tooth fix is all done now, I might need a smiling selfie as proof! Brava on cleaning out your closet, that's a chore that I need to tackle myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. phew - glad you got your closet done ... and your tooth! and maybe now you can spend fun time with yarn and fiber (when the work is done?!) That new skein screams PLAY to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your dentist appointment was successful. Organizing and cleaning out spaces always makes me feel better. It's the getting started that is challenging. The handspun skein is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the dentist appt was as pain-free as possible! And successful. What fun, bold colors in that new skein.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is SO wonderful to clean out and organize closets and cabinets (and even whole rooms)! Whenever I do that, I find myself going back and peeking in all the time . . . just to enjoy the fruits of my labor again and again! (It's so pleasing . . . ) I hope your experience at the dentist was successful and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! That handspun is GORGEOUS! I'd have to skip the sweaters and knit with that first. Absolutely LOVE it! Thankfully we don't have the m-word critters here. Instead, we have ladybugs. They swarm and they are horrible! I know they are great for the garden, but I'm not loving them inside my house.

    ReplyDelete