Pages

Monday, March 18, 2024

Faux Vacationing

I am happy to report that we have made it to Florida. Our flight was a bit bumpy at times, but Mo was well dosed with Dramamine and suffered no sickness, and we even arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule! It made for a late night, however. We landed around 10, and by the time we got our luggage and drove to my parents' house, it was nearly 11. My mother was waiting with fresh waffles (we didn't eat much of a real dinner at the airport), so we ate and unpacked and it was after midnight by the time we went to bed. I honestly can't remember the last time I was up that late willingly! I will say that the benefit of coming late on a Friday night is that I had a whole weekend to enjoy being here before I have to get back to work today. And let me tell, I did take advantage of it! I slept in, I went for long walks, I went for dips in the pool, I read for pleasure. It's been warm and sunny and delightful.

Reading Brideshead Revisited while dipping my feet in the pool

I worked on my Hitchhiker a bit at the gate in Pittsburgh and on the plane, adding a couple of teeth, but I've mainly been working on my Bereket the past two days. I'm well into the textured section on the first side, and while it's a lot slower to work than the stockinette, it's quite engaging -- though the bobble/welt rows do take a long time (especially if you read the directions incorrectly and have to rip out and redo a row, as was the case last night).

Today is likely to be busy at work, but I plan to go for a run this morning and I can certainly take my laptop outside on the lanai and enjoy the weather while I work. Hope the week is off to a good start for you!

10 comments:

  1. I was hoping for such a picture!! Sounds like a perfect first weekend in FL. And what a thoughtful, warm welcome your mom prepared for you gals!
    One hour from landing to 'home' is remarkable to me. Living so far from a biggish airport now, anything less than 2 hours sounds downright efficient!
    Enjoy your new office this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poolside photo! Ahhhh! I think balancing busy at work with the beautiful weather is brilliant! Enjoy your time in FLA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely photo of reading by the pool! I hope you have plenty of time for that. Your description of your mother waiting with fresh waffles after an evening of traveling also warmed my heart. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you got the weekend to enjoy yourself before the work week. But the lanai sounds a lot better than Pittsburgh in March so I suspect even work will be enjoyable this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pool looks VERY inviting. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great weekend! And how great of your mother to be waiting with fresh waffles when you arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great way to blend work and play. That by the pool picture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if you HAVE to work, better on a lanai or by a pool in sunny FL than in Pittsburgh! I love that your Mom had fresh waffles for you when you arrived Friday night and your poolside pic is great. I have to say I just love those "Welty bobbles" - they are GREAT. Enjoy your visit - hope the weather holds for you and that work is not TOO unreasonable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice to have a weekend to settle in and soak up the Florida vibes. Dramamine is a lifesaver, or at least it makes traveling more pleasant. The sweater looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your knitting is looking good, I've never knitted bobbles or textured knitting before. The waffles sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete