Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2019

But It Doesn't Count as Stash

What a long week this has been! Work has been super busy (that'll teach me to take a day off, I guess), so I've been using my knitting as a sanity keeper in the evenings.

I spent Tuesday evening fixing the naughty sock cuff and it took longer than I expected. That thing they say about not being able to rip out knitting from the cast-on edge? It's totally true. It probably took me as much time to rip out the old yarn as it did to reknit. But it's done, and although the cuffs aren't a perfect match, it'll be hard to tell without looking at them really closely. With any luck, I've also learned my lesson and will make better notes and actually read them the next time I have two knit two of something.

I've been working on my other two WIPs regularly as well. My first Zigzagular Sock is now at the gusset decreases, and the baby blanket has gotten a bit bigger. My goal for the latter is to have it done in the next week or so, which would enable me to mail it off next weekend (the shower is the following weekend). I'm not planning to make it huge, so I think that's a reasonable goal.

Yesterday was a really gross weather day. We woke up to heavy snow fall that really made the morning commute messy, and it changed over to rain over the course of the day, so I walked home in slush. So it was very nice to come home to a box of yarn waiting for me.


Last week, a friend on Ravelry had kindly mentioned to me that Knit Picks was having a sale on its Felici yarn. It's not my favorite yarn ever, but Rainbow really likes the socks I've made her from it, and it's reasonably priced even when it's not on sale. So the two of us picked out a bunch of colorways and placed an order. A good amount of this yarn will become socks for her in due time. I've got my eye on the rainbow-y skeins at the top left, and I think the gray/brown/blue ones in the top middle would make good man gift socks. I'm not worrying about this order messing up my plans to knit down the stash too much -- after all, they say that sock yarn doesn't count as stash, right?

We have a fairly uneventful weekend coming up, but I'm really excited about tomorrow morning. Rainbow's class has been studying pioneer times and reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's books (something the school has been doing at least since I was there), and tomorrow is their Pioneer Living History Day. All day, they'll be acting as if they were living in pioneer times. They'll churn butter and cook pioneer-era food for lunch. They have to ask to use the outhouse or go to the well if they need to use the restroom or get a drink. And I get to go in for a bit in the morning to share a bit about wool, fiber prep, and spinning. If you've ever read Farmer Boy, you may remember that there are bits about sheep shearing as well as Almanzo's mother spinning and dyeing yarn and weaving it into cloth to make their clothing. So I will be taking in some fiber, handcards, spindles, and one of my wheels to demonstrate how fleece can become yarn and then clothing. It should be a lot of fun!

4 comments:

  1. Sock yarn definitely doesn't count as stash if it's on sale! Pioneer Day sounds like fun. I have a friend that helps out at a Waldorf School when they teach students how to knit and spin. She says the kids take to using drop spindles better than many adults. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those parts in Farmer Boy! That sounds like an incredibly fun day! (for both you and Rainbow!!)

    Hopefully your walk home tonight is less sloppy and it was so nice to see the sun for most of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, I need to re-read Farmer Boy! Love all the new sock yarn - y'all did a great job choosing the colors. (do you have a stash of non-sock yarn?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz Thomas2:53 PM

    Love getting goodies in the mail - even when I know it’s coming. Always a little exciting! Hope Pioneer Day was fun. Everyone had to be crafty back then.

    ReplyDelete