Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Familiarity

This weekend has been a normal weekend, inasmuch as any weekend can be normal. Both the Mister and I were at home. We had the usual chores and errands to do. We had no special plans. I was especially grateful to be able to sleep in and then fully savor my coffee yesterday morning.

In other ways, though, things felt different. Today marks one year since tragedy struck our community. Though in many ways it was just another day, it was also a day for remembrance, for reflection, and for service. Many have spoken of the extraordinary way the greater Pittsburgh community came together to support the Jewish community after the events of October 27, 2018. Our rabbi was among them, noting in his sermon this past Yom Kippur that the response was notable precisely because it was so opposite to the reactions of non-Jews to previous attacks. But that is Pittsburgh for you -- we are a city of neighbors. So it seemed fitting that today our community sponsored a day of service across the greater Pittsburgh area. There were blood drives and community clean-ups. There were people delivered homemade baked goods to first responders. There were meals cooked and served at soup kitchens. Shelves were stocked at food pantries. Cemeteries were tidied. Neighbors everywhere were welcomed, consoled, told that they were welcome. It was something beautiful to see.

After we all completed our projects (we packed backpacks with snacks and toys and notes of encouragement for unaccompanied minors in immigration court and helped to make fleece blankets for refugees resettled in the area), we returned home for our typical Sunday afternoon. I was craving some quiet time, so I listened to an audiobook and spent some time at my wheel, spinning the yarn that I spin when I don't have to think about it.


This is BFL/silk from Southern Cross Fibre from my most recent club shipment, a colorway called Scarlet Woods. It was dyed to match an inspiration photo posted in the SCF Ravelry group and is so reminiscent of the beautiful autumn colors we're seeing now. I'm enjoying it immensely, not just because of the color and the wonderfully prepped fiber but also because I'm spinning with no purpose in mind, and that is greatly freeing.

I hope you've had a weekend that has given you time to relax, to reflect, and to be grateful. I know I have.

3 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to hear about the day of service in Pittsburgh. It does indeed sound beautiful, and what a productive and reflective way to remember and memorialize. The only thing that saddens me is that I just watched the national news and didn't hear a word about this extraordinary event. Good news like this needs to be talked about more often, and I'm so gad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent much of yesterday reflecting on all that has happened in that very brief year and I am embarrassed that I did not know about the Day of Service. I, too, was a bit shocked that no national media carried any reminders at all from yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We remembered that tragedy at our service Sunday morning ... sadly appropriate on the day we remembered all those who passed away in the past year. and oh my, that yarn is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what it becomes (but honestly, looking at the single on the bobbin still makes me smile)!

    ReplyDelete