Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

More Multitasking

It's another cool morning here in Western Pennsylvania, currently 55F as I type, and my toes are very happy to be wearing some wool socks! It's Wednesday, or so the calendar tells me, so I'm joining up with Kat and the Unravelers to chat about what I'm knitting and what I'm reading.

After finishing up my sweater, my top priority was that secret project that I couldn't show you. I'm happy to say that I finished it on Monday, and the sample has been blocked. Now I just need to finish writing up the pattern and get it and the sample off to the publisher. I'm hoping to have all that done by the end of the week. And now my sock mojo is running high!


These are socks for my mother-in-law for the holidays, and I'm nearly done with the second. One of the joys of working from home is that I can knit while I work, when feasible, and I got all of the gusset decreases on the second sock done yesterday while proofing a document. I expect I'll be able to finish this sock today, and then I'm planning on casting on some socks for my sister-in-law (who, I think, is the only member of the immediate family who has not received a pair of hand-knit socks from me because I didn't have her feet measurements until recently).

Stockinette socks are good knitting to do while reading, and I've been doing some of that this week as well. I finished another good book over the weekend (in fact, I stayed up late one night to finish it!).

A number of my well-read friends recommended Deacon King Kong, and I decided to give it a go because I really enjoyed McBride's writing in Song Yet Sung. I'll admit that when I first started reading, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it because the setting and characters seemed so wildly outside my usual areas of interest. But I have so rarely been led astray by the friends who'd recommended it, so I stuck with it. I am so glad I did! It's pretty much impossible to describe what this book is about save that it involves a cast of pretty unforgettable characters who seem like they'd be completely unrelated but wind up all being involved in one slightly crazy and very complex story. The writing is excellent and the characterization superb. I gave it 4 stars.


Currently in progress (and likely soon to be finished) is a new book, published earlier this year, that I am reading for a discussion with the group that Mary hosts on Zoom on Sundays. The Mountains Sing is set in Vietnam and is told from the point of view of two women, Tran Dieu, who struggles to raise her children and keep her family safe during the rise of Communism, and her granddaughter Huong, who is struggling to find her own way and to connect with her family in the years during and just after the Vietnam War. It's interesting to get a non-Western perspective on a conflict that was so divisive here in the United States, and the book has made it clear to me just how little I know about the region and the politics of the time.


I'm waiting on several holds from the library to come up, so there should be lots more reading in the coming days. I'd love to hear what good reads you've been getting lost in lately!

13 comments:

  1. Love those socks - so pretty. And, both of those books look good. I'm not on the wait list for The Mountains Sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great socks, and I look forward to seeing more in the future as you knit gifts. For good reads I can definitely recommend Hamnet and The Boy in the Field. They were both immersive and interesting books for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t know what it is about that striping—maybe the color combo?—but that’s one of my favorite pairs of socks I’ve seen in a while! Looks like some good, perspective-shifting reading....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this colorway, too. I think it might be the tweed base. It's a bit different from the typical self-striping base, and I think it adds a fun dimension to the colors.

      Delete
  4. GREAT socks, Sarah! I love the colors and the striping pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such happy socks. I am between reads at the moment. Something will catch my fancy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your socks are so pretty! It's kind of you to knit for other people: I don't!!

    Lots of people have loved Deacon King Kong and I'm glad you did as well! It's on the list for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I mainly knit for myself, but I also love to cover my loved ones in wool. And knitting socks for others is helping to solve the problem of too much sock yarn in my stash + no room in my sock drawers.

      Delete
  7. The socks look fantastic. I will definitely look out for The Mountains Sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love the socks...and I've now queued more books. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deacon King Kong ... I want it to be a movie!! and I'm looking forward to our next pick. We do have some wonderful readers feeding us recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely colours in those stripes. I am guessing by holidays you mean Christmas? That is organised, I don't even know what I am doing next week........

    ReplyDelete