Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Three Finishes

It's Thursday (right? I'm having a hard time keeping track this week), and I conveniently have three things that I've finished in the past day to share with you to join up with Carole and friends for Three on Thursday.

1. A must-read book

I finished reading Isabel Wilkerson's newest book, Caste: The Origins of Our Discontent, last night just before bed, and wow, is it an amazing book! I had put it on hold at the library right after finishing The Warmth of Other Suns, and I'm so glad I did -- it was well worth the wait. Wilkerson compares the United States with two clearly defined casts systems that are well known: India and Nazi Germany. Her thesis is that the reason that Americans who are Black have always been on the bottom rung of the ladder in our society is not just due to racism but due to caste, that the dominant group (Whites) do everything they can to maintain their power over society and over nondominant groups. She explains this so well and draws parallels between the three caste systems in a way that really illuminates how we've come to where we are. She even gives an explanation for why so many polls and pundits seemed to be wrong about the 2016 election. This was a 5-star read for me and a book I think everyone should read right now!

2. All my Rambouillet singles

 

I finally finished the third bobbin of singles for this sweater spin yesterday, and though I very much wanted to start plying right away, I knew it would go better if I let the most recently spun singles rest a bit. So plying will likely start later today, and with any luck I'll have some finished skeins to share this weekend!




3. A sweater!

Yes, I finished my Torbellino! Obviously it's still in need of blocking, so this isn't a full FO post, but I did finish all the knitting and wove in all my ends last night. And it does fit -- I tried it on to be sure -- but will be much more flattering once it's blocked and the fabric has a chance to relax a bit. On the to-do list for today is weighing the yarn that's leftover to figure out how much I used, but I suspect I have nearly the equivalent of a full skein of the red remaining. No, I didn't miscalculate how much I needed; when I bought the yarn originally, I was planning to make a larger size (because I've since lost some weight). It was nice not to worry about yarn chicken for once.

There are a lot of unhappy things in the world right now, so I leave you today with a bit of happiness in my yard: One of our sunflowers finally bloomed. It took a long time to do so, and it's quite small in comparison to the blooms we had a few years ago, but I can't look at it and not smile.

Be well and be safe, my friends.

15 comments:

  1. I put Caste on hold when you first mentioned it, and now I'm quite anxious to read it (despite a long wait). Those singles are beautiful and I'm sure they will be even more so when plied. Torbellino (I always wan to type tortellini!) is a lovely sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the color of those singles... GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased Caste with my Audible credits, and can't wait to read it. The Warmth of Other Suns is one of my favorite books, so I know Caste will be excellent, too. Love your singles -- Vicki is right . . . GORGEOUS! The sweater looks divine, and I love how your sunflower "plays" against that lovely red background. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Sunflowers! Yay for a finished Torbellino (can't wait to see modeled pictures!!). So many are talking about Caste. I need to look for that. Your singles are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just downloaded Caste from Audible, and am eager to begin!

    These are 3 very good things! I love how your sweater turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that burst of yellow. AND the shape of your sweater. Can't wait to see it modeled. I could also see that sized to be a child's dress... I am on hold for Caste. It's a long line but lots of copies. So, here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a long wait for Caste at my library, but they bought more copies while I was waiting, and it's actually a pretty quick read, so I think people are getting through it at a reasonable pace. I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  7. Those three bobbins are the same three balls(?) of fiber you shared on Sunday, right?! wow! Looking forward to seeing that sweater modeled (and a smidge jealous you might actually be able to wear it soon-ish). Happy almost FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This week is ending well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you loved Caste. I can't wait until my hold is up!

    I love your three things! So much to cheer for :) Enjoy your sunflower - it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep my fingers crossed that the hold line moves quickly for you!

      Delete
  10. Love, love those singles! I too, loved Caste, learned so much! I will say as bad as 2020 has been and I am looking forward to seeing 2020 in the rear view mirror, 2020 has been a year of learning and understanding! Happy Friday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a really interesting read, thank you. Your jumper is so gorgeous, I love it! I do hope that it blocking it makes it even more amazing. The colours compliment each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS on your new sweater - it looks absolutely fantastic!! I already admired the singles on ravelry - the colours are so beautiful and the sweater will be great. (Are you pairing it up with anything?).

    I know I'm super late with commenting once again, and I'm sorry for that, but I will always try to catch up, promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting the finished yarn and the yarn I'm planning to pair it with later today!

      Delete