Pages

Thursday, September 03, 2020

Wrapping Up Summer

While I know that technically fall doesn't start until later this month, I always feel like the beginning of September -- in addition to being the start of meteorological fall -- is the start of a new year in addition to the start of a new season. I guess after so many years as a student, then a teacher, and now working for an educational institution, I tend to think in terms of academic years rather than calendar years. About now is when I start thinking about the colder weather and what I will knit for myself and others to keep warm, and I'm certainly not immune to the siren call of new school/office supplies. When Rainbow and I went shopping last month, I was fairly restrained but did treat myself to some new pens. I also recently bought myself a pair of new running shoes (my old ones are starting to fall apart, but doesn't everyone have fond memories of a new pair of shoes for the new school year?), and yesterday I got another new thing as an anniversary gift from the Mister:

That, my friends, is a box from my shiny new iPhone 11 -- a HUGE upgrade from my previous iPhone 6. I now have the fancy camera(s) and effects, which I think will really help my knitting and pattern photography, and I finally feel like I'm with the tech "in crowd" for the first time ever. 

I have picked up for and started the second sleeve of my Torbellino, so I'll also soon have a new sweater to add to my wardrobe:

If I'm honest, this is what I'm most excited about related to the end of summer:

I know it's a little hard to see (it's a very gloomy, rainy day here), but I have just one square left to fill to complete my second SAH Book Bingo cover-all! I finished two very long books this week, Little Dorrit and Stamped from the Beginning, and I truly enjoyed both. Yesterday I started my final book. I'm rereading The Resilience Factor, which I originally read as part of a seminar in college -- I was lucky enough to have both authors as instructors, and Andrew Shatté was actually my very favorite college professor, so it's fun to revisit it now. I'll admit that I am not giving it a very deep reading, as my goal is to complete it rather than study it at this point, but I still think it's a useful text to read for our current situation. And frankly I'm really excited about the fact that when I finish it, I will have finished 50 books since April. Many thanks to Mary for hosting us again for what has become a beloved summer tradition for me!

We have absolutely nothing planned for this weekend, but I'm looking forward to what's predicted to be really nice weather. It's technically a holiday weekend, but my employer has decided that we now have to work on Monday, which is Labor Day (a federal holiday here in the United States) -- but it's okay because they're going to give us the Monday after Thanksgiving off. Grrr. I keep thinking what my labor-lawyer grandfather would have to say about that! I suppose at least this year I don't actually have to go into the office, and it's A-OK if I spend Labor Day in my pajamas!

Hope you all have a good end to your week and a pleasant weekend to look forward to!


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your wonderful summer of reading and those two great Bingo cards! I can't quite imagine working on Labor Day (it's a federal holiday for goodness sake), but I guess doing it in your pajamas is something. Hope you have lots of good knitting time this weekend and enjoy your new phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say you are definitely wrapping up summer IN STYLE! slightly jealous of the new phone, and impressed with 49 finished books! (I hear you on the working Monday thing. Georgia Tech holds classes on Monday ... so I'm guessing there are plenty of staff there who will be working, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the anniversary!! (and wow, that's some anniversary gift!!)
    Also WOOT for the book bingo, that was super fast and now I really, REALLY have to read another book by Dickens! ;) I hope you can still enjoy your weekend, despite the working on Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Monday will be a very quiet day -- sounds like most of my team is going to be taking the day off, so other than having to keep an eye on my inbox, it will basically be like a day off!

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary! And what an awesome gift from your husband - I love that color! I'm sorry you have to work on Monday, PJs or not. My husband is also working (he always does though), and it's no fun when it seems like the rest of the world is off! I guess a longer Thanksgiving weekend is a nice trade off?

    Your sweater looks great! And those bingo cards look even better!! What a great way to wrap up the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! To be honest, I don't really care about the Monday after Thanksgiving, especially because we're not traveling (we never do, but even if we normally did, we wouldn't be doing it this year).

      Delete
  5. Great job on the book bingo. I have heard good things about that new phone too. Your sweater is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! Your sweater is coming along - so pretty for fall. I am glad you've enjoyed your summer reading too.

    ReplyDelete