Pages

Friday, December 24, 2021

Fickle Time

Somehow while on vacation I've managed to keep track of what day it is (I suppose technology helps, as does writing in my journal every evening), but that doesn't help me account for the fact that we've already been here almost a week. I have to say, it's been wonderful. Aside from one day when it was rainy and very windy, the weather has been great -- even the past two days, when it's been below average (but still much warmer than at home!). I've really enjoyed being able to take long walks every day. Yesterday I broke 7 miles, and now that I've figured out the route to do it, I plan on doing it every day if I can. We are mainly staying close to home, though we did go out one evening earlier in the week to get ice cream. There were so many people and so few masks that I think we all came home a little traumatized.

I have been making great knitting progress, mainly on my May(be) Queen. Last night I officially finished the yoke and put the sleeve stitches on waste yarn. I plan on trying it on soon, but I'm doing a few more rounds on the body first to stabilize the stitches under the arms.


It looks small to me, but I've held it up and it looks okay, and I'm counting on the fact that the yarn is a superwash merino blend to loosen up a bit in blocking. My gauge was spot on when I swatched, too. With any luck, this will come out just as a want, with a bit of positive ease but not so much that it looks sloppy.

While we obviously aren't celebrating the religious aspects of the holiday, it's pretty hard for us not to remember that tonight is Christmas Eve and tomorrow is Christmas. Rainbow has requested homemade cinnamon rolls tomorrow, and my mother has just put a brisket in to cook for tomorrow's dinner. We also baked some cookies a couple of days ago, and we just might have some left to enjoy on Christmas:

Hot Cocoa Cookies -- using this recipe

I wish I could send you all some warmth and sunshine for Christmas, but I certainly can send you my best wishes for an enjoyable holiday, however you might be spending it. I know we were all hoping that the world would be in a better place this year, and I still have hope that we will be soon. In the meantime, hold your loved ones close, be safe, and enjoy the delights that the season brings!

4 comments:

  1. The cookies look delicious. We had a warm Christmas day here - temps in the low 50's and bright sunshine. Let's hope next year is better. Stay safe where you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your remaining vacation time (at least another week, I hope), the wonderful weather, knitting, and those delicious-looking cookies! I didn't end up making any cookies, but I might need some to ring in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your days start to slow down a bit! Those cookies look so good! Yum!!

    And good for you for all that walking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies look perfect! I'm pinning that recipe!

    I'm playing catch up today so I've already wished you a happy vacation, but it feels weird not to also include it in this comment ;)

    ReplyDelete