Pages

Monday, August 22, 2022

She's Hooked

Today, I have something a little different -- a special guest appearance by our resident hooker! (And by that, I mean crocheter, of course!) Rainbow learned how to crochet several years ago, but this summer, she's really gotten hooked on it -- pun intended. First, she used up a ton of my leftover scraps to make some fun scrappy blankets. Then, last week, she dug into my kitchen cotton stash and has started making bags. But I'll let her tell you more about it all.

Hi, I'm Rainbow. That's not my real name, but that's what I go by online. First, I'll tell why I recently got back into crocheting. It started out as just something to do over the summer to pass time, but eventually I was crocheting for a reason. First I found out I would have a new cousin this fall, then that a family friend was having a baby. I wanted both babies to have a handmade blanket, and I wanted to use up all of the colorful scraps my mom has acquired over the years. So I got to work. Before I knew it, I had completed four blankets: two for those babies and two to donate. In that time, I also completed a lap blanket for my best friend.

A scrappy blanket using fingering held double, a clutch, and a tote bag

The more I crocheted, the better I got. I was ready for a harder project. I remembered a video one of my favorite YouTubers had made a while ago, so I went back and re-watched it. In the video, she crocheted an adorable tote bag. That's when an idea popped into my mind. I dug into my mom's kitchen cotton supply and found a few colors I liked. Then, I went onto Stitch Fiddle and used an image I had found online to create a simple flower design. Finally, it was time to get to work! I carefully followed the graph and after about four days, I had finished my first tote bag! I immediately got to work on another, but took a short break to make a small clutch/pouch. I'm still working on the second bag, although I'm very close to finishing. 

The tote bag made with the flower motif

As for my future as a crocheter, I plan on not only making things for myself, but for others. I'll make blankets, bags, and much more for my family, friends, and to donate.

Another tote bag in progress

Sarah here again! I want to point out that while I have offered a little advice and my opinion from time to time, Rainbow has done all this work on her own. And I couldn't be prouder! She's also doing a great job of helping me use up stash, particularly my scraps and leftovers, and I think it's only a matter of time before I have to hide the good stuff so she doesn't use it before I do. She doesn't plan to start a blog just yet, but she did recently open a Ravelry account so she can keep track of her projects (especially because she now has more than one WIP at a time). Perhaps one day she'll dip her toe into designing as well! She starts school (seventh grade, if you can believe it!) next week, so there will be a lot of yarn flying around this week as she savors her last week of freedom.

Thanks for indulging me and my parental pride for a bit. I'll be back on Wednesday with a knitting and reading update!

13 comments:

  1. Well done, Rainbow! With several wonderful projects completed and more in progress, you have become a true crocheter with a Ravelry account to keep track of multiple WIPs. Your flower tote bag is beautiful and I love that you are making things for family, friends, and charity. I hope school doesn't cut into your crafting time too much and you keep up the lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainbow + Sarah, this is THE most delightful way to greet a Monday morning! R--congratulations on your projects, the start of your Rav account, and your growth with the craft. Gorgeous and inspiring--hooray. (Gosh, love that tote!!! And I can't wait to see those squares come together for the next one!) S--sheesh, talk about parental pride. Oh my. What fun. And...it did cross my mind that you might have to start hiding or labeling some bits in your stash! :) Enjoy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:06 AM

    This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing your progress with us, Rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous is me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rainbow, your projects are wonderful! I hope you continue to enjoy making things for your family & friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Rainbow! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a proud mama moment, Sarah - thank you for sharing Rainbow and her story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, Rainbow! Your creativity is inspiring! Beautiful crocheting.. especially that flower bag! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BRAVO, Rainbow!!! I love to see your projects come to life. Your crocheting is just lovely, and I love that you like to make things for other people. When I was your age, I taught myself to crochet from a magazine (because YouTube wasn't invented yet). I loved making things for my friends. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!! The bag and the blankets look great, I hope you are really proud of yourself! One tiny piece of advice: Follow your mom and don't forget to make things for yourself, too. It's super important. Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course you should be proud of Rainbow. I love her enthusiasm for her projects. The bag and blanket look great. How nice to have someone to help turn the scraps into beautiful useful objects. Enjoy this last week before school starts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work, Rainbow! I love the projects you've been working on, especially that bag with the flower. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely projects Rainbow! And how nice that you are making for family, friends and charity - that is just wonderful. Sarah - I hope you continue to let Rainbow "guest blog" occasionally so we can see what she is up to. Have fun in 7th grade Rainbow!!

    ReplyDelete