Pages

Monday, August 08, 2022

Still Getting Caught Up

G'morning, friends. I hope you all had a good weekend. We ended up being busier than I was expecting, but I got everything done that I needed to and had some much-needed down time. One of the things I got done was taking care of the last steps to finish my latest skein of handspun. I am still working on my long-term project to spin my older Southern Cross Fibre club shipments, and this particular skein was spun from what was the oldest shipment I had -- Dot on Bond from October 2017.


I have to admit that the main reason I didn't spin this one for so long is because I didn't love the colorway in fiber form. But as is so often the case with David's colorways, I changed my opinion after I spun it. I simply divided the length of fiber into thirds and spun a traditional three ply. I was planning to do a slighter heavier yarn than usual, but this Bond wanted to be spun fine, so it's a fingering weight.


I was hoping that the tan/light brown would be more distributed, but somehow it ended up getting concentrated primarily in one part of the skein. But that meant that the reds were also concentrated, and that made those reds really intense.

I used up every bit of singles that I spun by making a plying bracelet when the first bobbin ran out and then chain-plying a yard or two when the second one ran out, and I ended up with approximately 426 yards. That would make this yarn pretty much perfect for socks. I do like the colorway much better in yarn form, but it's still not really something I'd pick on my own, so this skein will probably be posted on the Instagram account where I sell my handspun (though if any of you wants first dibs, let me know!).

Here is where things stand on this project now -- this is a photo I took of the remaining SCF club stash in March, I think, so it's missing the three most recent shipments:


I'm not quite keeping up with the influx of new shipments, but I am spinning up older ones! The colorway in the center of the second row (the blue/green) has been sitting next to my wheel waiting to be spun up next, and I also think I'm going to do a combo spin of three red-heavy colorways. We'll see if I ever manage to catch up!

9 comments:

  1. I never would have predicted that that yarn was spun from that fiber, but it is really lovely! I wonder how it will look when it's knit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is very pretty yarn and I, too, wonder what it will look like once it is knit. You've got a lot of gorgeous fibers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a gorgeous hank of handspun, I love the way the colors are concentrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What eye candy! Gorgeous, Sarah. And good--glad you got that down time over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Bonny, I wouldn't have predicted that yarn from that fiber but that is part of the joy of spinning. I think the skein would make great socks. Spin on. You are making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I think that's really pretty. I am so tempted to buy it but should wait. I'll check in with you after I've bought all of our school stuff for the year and hope that it's still available. And I can't wait to see what comes off your wheel next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The magic of spinning... I love how those colors intensified!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it's because I don't have any experience with spinning, but I am always just amazed at how those "blobby" looking chunks of fiber turn into the beautiful yarn you spin! I love it -- just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fiber to spin! But it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete