Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Unraveled, Week 32/2022

This week has been such that it took me a minute or two when I got up this morning to figure out what day it was, but it is Wednesday (I double-checked!), which means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers and to talk about making and reading.

This week I've primarily been focused on my Twofer Tank, which is rapidly approaching completion.


I have reached the specified body length before the hem given in the pattern, but I am on my fourth ball of yarn and still have two full skeins remaining, so I'm going to keep knitting for a while. I've also decided that I'm going to ignore the decreases before the hem listed in the pattern and might even do an increase or two so that the bottom edge isn't fitted. Obviously this is going to need a good blocking, but I'm happy with how it's knitting up and I have tried it on a couple of times to ensure the fit is good. I'm excited to wear this top very soon!

It's been an excellent week for reading with three finishes -- all books I thoroughly enjoyed!

Mary recommended Bomb Shelter to me a couple of months ago, I think, but it took a while for my library to get it and then I had to wait patiently on the hold list. It was worth the wait, though. This memoir in essays deals with subjects both serious, like her son's seizure in the middle of the night and subsequent epilepsy diagnosis, and hilarious, like the turtle who regularly "knocks" at the family's front door and becomes a beloved visitor. Reading these essays is a lot like sitting down and chatting with a friend, and the book reminded me a lot of Ann Patchett's These Precious Days -- so I was not at all surprised to find that not only do the two writers live in the same city, but they also know each other! I identified a lot with Philpott's worries about parenting and life in general and laughed out loud at several points. I gave this book 4 stars.

Up next was The Colony, which is on the Booker Prize long list and came highly recommended by Mary and Margene. I was only able to get it on audio from the library, and I understand that listening to it takes away some of the impact that the printed copy has, but it was still a powerful read. The story is set on a tiny Irish island on a summer in the height of the Troubles in Northern Ireland and follows two visitors to the island, an English painter and a French linguist studying the inhabitants of the island, who may be among the last native speakers of the Irish language. Interspersed in the narrative of what is happening on the island are brief mentions of the violence in the north, almost emotionless reporting of who is killed and why. The book as a whole examines the long-term impacts and trauma of colonization, and I'd say it's a real contender for the Booker this year. Highly recommend! I gave it 4 stars.

Finally, in the late to the party category, I read The Glass Hotel. I'd been wanting to read it for a while, but there was always a long wait at the library, so I finally picked up a copy at my local bookstore earlier in the summer. I didn't adore this one like I adored Station Eleven, but I really, really liked it. There's something about Emily St. John Mandel's writing that just clicks so well with my brain and pulls me in. I didn't think I would find a story about a Ponzi scheme (quite obviously modeled on the Bernie Madoff scandal) so intriguing, but I did. It was fascinating to me how Mandel manages to have several seemingly unrelated stories all come together in the end, and I enjoyed the explorations into alternate realities and the supernatural. I gave it 4 stars (and I have Sea of Tranquility on hold!).

I have several holds I'm waiting for, so in the meantime I started My Name Is Lucy Barton last night. I have only read one Elizabeth Strout book, and seeing as everyone is reading Oh William!, I figured I should read this one first.

What are you making and reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. Love your Twofer and the color is great! Looks a lot different than last week (LOL). I have not really gotten into any of the Elizabeth Strout books...but I know I'm in the minority. I had completely forgotten about Bomb Shelter, so am adding it to my (ever growing again) TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to wear your Twofer soon! The color is lovely and a sleeveless cotton sweater is just what is needed. I put Bomb Shelter on hold as soon as you compared it to These Precious Days. I envy you reading Lucy Barton and there are several more books that she features in if you like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Twofer Tank is moving along FAST and it looks great! I liked The Glass Hotel but agree that it was no Station Eleven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh your Twofer!! (it's weird but I keep thinking it's September and of course it's not - you'll have plenty of time to wear this before fall!) Love that we're stacking your shelves with good books ... now we just need to find you a 5-star selection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Twofer looks amazing! And I know what you mean about ESJM's voice -- she is so distinctive. I sometimes think I would recognize her writing anywhere, which I think is so cool. I'm about 30% through The Colony and have to say that it's not grabbing me. I'm hoping that changes soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great summer sweater, Sarah. And . . . you're finishing it with plenty of wear-time left in the summer! BIG Bonus! (That never seems to happen for me. I'm always a season behind, it seems.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sweater, Sarah! And (today aside) you should have lots of time to wear that before we need to pull out the woollies!

    I am on the list for Colony... and your review makes me wish the list was moving slightly quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color of your summer sweater and you'll have plenty of time to wear it before it turns cold.
    I'm down to #2 on the hold list for The Colony and after reading your review, I really look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great summer top. The color looks like it will make you feel cooler when you wear it. I mean cool as in temperature but you will also look very cool in it. Bomb Shelter sounds like a book I would like so onto the hold list it goes. I've enjoyed some of Strout's novels and others, not so much. I'm interested to know what you think of Lucy Barton.

    ReplyDelete