Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Unraveled, Week 34/2022

Happy hump day, all! It's Wednesday again, and as usual I'm linking up with Kat and the Unravelers, but first I have to thank all of you who left such lovely comments on Monday's post. I shared all of them with Rainbow, who is feeling very gratified and encouraged to continue her crafting. I'm sure I'll be sharing more of her work in the future.

So, back to my crafting. These days, it's all about my Quotidian Tee:

I know it doesn't look like a ton of progress, but you have to keep in mind that I'm knitting this on size 3/3.25 mm needles, so it's bound to grow slowly. Knitting with this yarn is an interesting experience. It's a linen/cotton blend but feels cool and silky to the touch. It's a chainette construction, which makes joining a new skein a little tricky, but Mary (who has knit with this yarn a lot) was able to give me some good tips, and I think I did a decent job on my first join:

On Monday Rainbow and I were back at the orthodontist (and we'll be leaving in a little bit for our third visit in the past week). I thought the sweater was a bit large to take with me, so I cast on a new pair of socks, which will be for my sister-in-law for her birthday next month. I'm using some Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce from stash from several years ago. Monday's visit was relatively short, so I was only able to cast on and complete part of the cuff, but today the lower braces are going on and we'll be there longer. I'll be interested to see how much of this sock I get knit today.

There's been a lot of reading here the past week! Remember how last week I said I probably wouldn't read much more Elizabeth Strout? Well, you can go ahead and laugh at me -- because I read two more of her books this week!

On Friday, I found myself all caught up on podcasts, so I went in search of available audiobooks on Libby and found, to my surprise, that Oh William! was available with no wait. It took me two workouts and a bit of housecleaning to finish it, and I think I've discovered that audio works much better for me with Strout's books because they are so very conversational and having someone read to me is more like listening to someone tell me a story. I liked this one much better that the two books of hers I'd read previously, and even though I got a bit annoyed with how many times the phrase in the title was uttered, I enjoyed getting to know these characters a bit better. I gave this one 4 stars.

Then, because I wanted to know more about the characters, I borrowed the book that technically comes in between My Name Is Lucy Barton and Oh William! Anything Is Possible is a series of interconnected short stories set in Amgash, Illinois, Lucy's hometown, and though she does make an appearance toward the end, she is not really a main figure. I found a number of these stories to be rather disturbing and didn't like the book as much, but it certainly gave me more insight into Lucy's background and enabled me to understand her (and her book) better. I gave it 3 stars.




My next read was the last of Maggie O'Farrell's back catalog that I had not yet read, The Distance Between Us. This book is what I've come to think of as classic O'Farrell: stories of characters who seem unrelated at the beginning and whose lives come together as more is revealed about them as the plot plays out. The writing is, as usual, quite excellent, and I was kept guessing about a key plot point that isn't uncovered until almost the end. I gave it 4 stars, and I'm really looking forward to her new book, which comes out next month!



Finally, just yesterday afternoon, I finished another book off the Booker Prize long list, Maps of Our Spectacular Bodies. I will start out by saying that this is a somewhat unconventional book in its structure, and it's likely to be one you'll either love or hate. It tells the story of a woman, a wife and mother, whose breast cancer has recurred some years after her first bout with it, and interspersed with the stories of this character and her life, the cancer actually cuts in. Over time, the cancer's voice becomes more and more prominent until eventually it has taken over so much of her that it becomes "we" rather than "I."  I found myself a bit confused early on but kept with it, and when I finished it yesterday, I was in tears. I think what's most impressive about this book is that the author is only 26 years old -- such a talent! I found myself emotionally worn out by this book, but in a good way. I gave it 5 stars.

I've just started rereading Sorrow and Bliss for the next Read With Us discussion, and I'll be interested to see how the experience of reading it with my eyes compares to reading it with my ears.

What are you making and reading this week?

14 comments:

  1. It looks like quite a bit of progress on your sweater to me! I never thought about it, but maybe that's why Hitchhikers take me so long; I knit them on size 3 needles. It couldn't be that I'm a slow knitter. :-) That join is almost invisible and the sock is off to a good start.

    Audio is perfect for Elizabeth Strout books as it so often feels like she is having a conversation with the reader. I couldn't wait to read how your experience with Maps differed from mine, and I certainly agree with being emotionally worn out. I'm also re-reading Sorrow and Bliss and taking notes for our discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting a sweater on US#3 needles is a project that defines the word dedication. Miles of stockinette! But yours is looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but this is stockinette in the round -- so I can just whoosh through it and only have to look once in a while to check and see if it's time to decrease!

      Delete
  3. Your sweater is looking good Sarah (and I think you've gotten quite a bit done considering the needle size). Love the yarn for the socks - super pretty. You've had a good week reading-wise. NOt sure I want to read "Maps" since breast cancer runs in my family and since my best friend has had two bouts of it! I'm reading Sorrow and Bliss and confess to being fairly bored so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh whew, I'm so glad you loved Maps ... did your copy include a note ("exclusive content") from the author? I love how she talks about "the paradox of elegy - the making of something from an occasion of destruction" and how she built that into the novel's structure. Totally brilliant. especially for one so young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness the sweater is knit in the round. Your join looks perfect. I knit a cardigan last winter on size three needles. It's a labor of love. I did like Strout's collection of Anything is Possible, perhaps because I did listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh 3.25/ UK10…..round needles or straight, that’s a labour of love! Love the bright cheery red colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so accustomed to knitting socks on 0's/2.0 mm that these don't feel that small to me!

      Delete
  7. Lovely week of reading! So glad you found your groove with Strout. I'm hoping to start My Name is Lucy Barton on audio next. And I'm glad that you loved Maps so much -- I recently started that one on audio, too. I'm a little confused by the characters right now (beginning stages, I hope I figure it all out soon), but am so interested in what's happening.

    And it DOES look like you've made a lot of progress with your tee. Nice work! It's such a fun color. Also fun? that sock colorway! I hope you're also listening to audiobooks during all of these orthodontist visits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those orthodontic days so well... all three of my kids had braces. Happy, happy, joy, joy... not! I am hoping that Rainbow's pain is manageable.

    That cheery bright red is absolutely fun! (and I really love listening to Strout's books... they do so feel like you are settling in with some good friends)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're finding your way with Elizabeth Strout. :-) And your sweater will be finished before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Elizabeth Strout is a fantastic listen--in fact, if pressed, I'd choose audio over eyes. She's a great walk + listen, for me. The Distance Between Us...I should look back and see how many stars I gave that...I think it was one of my 'middles' for Maggie O'Farrell. I've read almost all of her now (except for Snow Angels, so pretty much all), and nothing compares to Hamnet. How does one follow that? I'm looking forward to finding out in Marriage Portrait! Glad to see she's staying in centuries past.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a link to that join? It looks fabulous, where fabulous = I cannot see the join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the video that Mary sent me a link to: https://vimeo.com/144286352

      But she also shared how she's joined this particular yarn, which is how I've done it. I put a needle through the loops on each yarn end, then thread each with the tail from the opposite ball. I pull the tail through those loops, then through the loops on the other strand, and then weave in the tails through the strand of yarn. I'll try to take some photos the next time I do it.

      Delete