Pages

Monday, September 19, 2022

A True Everyday Sweater

I promised you a real FO post, and here it is -- I love this sweater so much!


Pattern: Quotidian Tee by Kerri Blumer, size 34" with short sleeves, A-line body, and mid-hip length
Yarn: Knit Picks Lindy Chain in Serrano, 4.84 skeins (871 yds./797 m)
Needles: US 3/3.25 mm
Started/Completed: August 17/September 15

I'm so glad I got a chance to preview-knit this pattern for Kerri; when I saw her version on Instagram, I knew it was a pattern I had to knit. As the name suggests, this is truly an everyday sweater. The pattern has so many options (seriously -- click over to her website and scroll down to read all the different options!) that even though it seems like a basic tee, it can be customized in so many ways. I knew I was going to use a summery yarn for this, so I chose options that would make a comfy warm-weather tee: short sleeves and an A-line body for a relaxed fit. And "relaxed" is truly how I felt when I wore this on Saturday (those of you who were on a Zoom with me that afternoon might have noticed I was wearing it!). The pattern is extremely well written and has so many thoughtful details: shaped shoulders that are joined with a three-needle bind-off (so there's no seaming), short-row sleeve cap shaping, twisted ribbing for the edges, and a simple purl round that separates the ribbing from the stockinette. My only modification (if you can even call it that) was to work a slightly different method for some of the short rows, but even if I hadn't been preview-knitting the pattern and thus committed to following it as written, I wouldn't have changed anything.

Clever decreases maintain the twisted ribbing at the V of the neckline

This was my first time knitting with Lindy Chain, a cotton/linen blend, and it will not be my last -- it makes a great warm-weather fabric that feels silky and cool to the touch. Once I got the hang of the join, it was very easy to join in a new skein, too. But it does have a couple of characteristics that frustrated me just a tad. Simply because of the way the yarn is constructed, there are some irregularities that make it a bit thick and thin, and so the fabric has some lumpiness to it, which I think you can see in the photo above. This didn't really bother me except for the fact that some areas where stitches were picked up had a tendency to look a little more stretched out than I think they would with a wool yarn. I found that the areas of the sleeves just to either side of the underarms had some areas that looked like they had holes, so I wove in my ends on the inside to close those up. Also, as you'd expect for something with a linen content, the fabric has a tendency to wrinkle:


Granted, this is what the back looked like after I'd been wearing the tee for most of the day, but you can also see a definite fold line from when it was laid flat to dry when it was blocked. All this means is that my tee might need a little steam before it's worn, particularly if it's been folded in a drawer before, or I just need to not care about wrinkles!

I think the true mark of a good pattern is the feeling that you could knit it again, and this is absolutely one I would and probably will knit again! I think my next one will be in wool or a wool blend, and I very likely will choose a different body style and/or sleeve length. My time to wear this first one is probably limited, but I have a feeling it will be coming with me to Florida in December and will get a ton of wear next summer!

10 comments:

  1. That really looks stunning, Sarah! You wear it so well also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful sweater and it looks terrific on you! I think it really is a classic pattern and you may have convinced even me (not a sweater knitter) to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely finish Sarah. The color and style look so good on you! And wow! A sweater in a month is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! I love that color on you and I bet you will wear it a TON.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the way this fits! and thank you for highlighting that twisted rib detail. I so appreciate little things like that. and you know, I've used this yarn for five(?!) sweaters and I don't even notice the wrinkles. In a cotton or wool sweater I would ... but linen is made to wrinkle. It's one of my favorite things about the fiber! I look forward to seeing the options you choose for your next one. It's going to be totally different in wool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a perfect design, Sarah -- and it looks great on you, too. As for me, I always find "wrinkled" linen . . . charming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sweater/tee fits so nicely. I love the shaping. The color is perfect on you. Thank you for sharing all the details. I am putting that pattern in my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a thought but I wonder how the pattern would knit up in Holst Garn Coast?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so great on you! And I love how customizable the pattern seems. I can't wait to see your next version! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fantastic - congratulations! Wow. The fit looks so good on you, and the colour really compliments your complexion. It really nooks like a wonderful summer garment (breathable, too), I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can wear it in Florida (and later!)

    ReplyDelete