Pages

Monday, September 05, 2022

When It Doesn't Feel Like Monday

Happy Labor Day! For those of you not in the United States, today is a federal holiday that celebrates organized labor. We are all home today, as schools and most offices are closed. But a long weekend also means that it doesn't really feel like Monday, and that's not really a bad thing.

I don't have too much planned for the day, which is just as well because it's supposed to rain pretty much all day long. Rainbow just left with my father to go downtown for our city's Labor Day parade (one of the biggest in the country), and I'm going to put on a raincoat on go for my walk in a bit. But the big thing I needed to get done today is already crossed off my list: This morning, I published two patterns, my first since early this year.


The Echinacea Hat on the left is actually a re-released. It was published in Knitscene last spring, but the rights have since reverted to me and I've updated it to include an additional size and an optional tubular cast-on. The Echinacea Cowl on the right is brand new and coordinates with the hat. It has an optional tubular cast-on and bind-off and also is slightly wider at the bottom than at the top so that it sits nicely atop the shoulders. You can find both patterns in my Ravelry and Payhip shops, if you're interested.

My main focus for today, other than tackling a pile of laundry, is trying to finish up this pair of socks for my sister-in-law for her birthday tomorrow.


I have about half an inch of leg left to knit before I start the heel, so I think it's doable, particularly as I plan to spend the afternoon reading and knitting. If I can manage it, I'll block them tonight and drop them off tomorrow.

I have to end with a little bit of thankfulness for internet friends. On Saturday, I was surprised to receive a package inside which was this adorable mug rug that Katie quilted for me:


We are just getting into prime hot tea season, and I have a little teapot with a coordinating mug that will rest so perfectly on this little mat. But more than the utility of this little piece, I'm touched by how thoughtful it is. The internet can be a big, scary place sometimes, but it's also been an amazing way to make some wonderful friends!

10 comments:

  1. I agree about new friends. In 2017 I agreed to a road trip to deliver my son's girlfriend' daughter to Boston for college, and I turned it into a visit-my-internet-friends in Massachusetts, New York state, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can meet up with some internet friends the next time I am driving through their neck of the woods!

      Delete
  2. It doesn't feel like Monday and I'll probably be confused as to what day it is all week long! Your new patterns are both lovely, and we will probably need hats and cowls soon enough. I hope you have had plenty of time in between loads of laundry for plenty of sock knitting. I love those stripe colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monday decidedly felt very un-Monday around here, in fact, I never even turned on my laptop! I am nodding in agreement with kmkat... meeting her for a lively meal at Primanti's was such a treat. I also had the joy of meeting Kym for coffee and lots of chatter when her daughter was living here! Internet friends can be the very best... what a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely patterns, Sarah! And . . . like Bonny said . . . I love those stripe colors. I hope you enjoyed a relaxing "extra" day off. Sometimes I love a rainy day . . . just to be able to sit and knit and read. (And what a charming gift from Katie. I'm grateful every day for all my "internet friends.") XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely mug rug. And your new patterns are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new patterns! How exciting. It rained all day here yesterday too -- and it's still raining! I hope you had a quiet holiday. I'm so glad the mug rug arrived and you like it. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your two new patterns (or one and a half new patterns) - they look great! Very elegant and feminine. :)
    I totally love Katie's present! It looks so cute, and the colours are fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the pattern releases Sarah (and yikes, has it really been so many months since your last?!) - and I love that you included tubular cast-ons and bind-offs (because aren't they fun and aren't they pretty?!) We are still in iced coffee weather here, but I'm hopeful tea season will arrive ... soon!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the pattern releases. Both are very pretty designs.

    ReplyDelete