Pages

Monday, September 26, 2022

Growth in 2022: September

 


Today feels like a very appropriate day for my monthly check-in with my One Little Word. It's not only the last Monday of the month, it's also the first day of the new Jewish year, 5783. Rosh Hashanah started at sundown last night, and we'll be leaving soon for synagogue. It's a happy time of year, but the next ten days are also a serious time, because it's said that in the time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur it's determined who will live and who will die in the year ahead, and so traditionally it's a time to examine how we are living and how we treat others, to ask forgiveness of those who have wronged, and to atone for any sins we've committed in the past year.

For me, it's yet another time to focus on myself and to check in with how I am living my life -- specifically, to focus on whether I am living my life the way I want, in a way that helps others and that sets a good example. And I firmly believe that an important way to life a good, rewarding life is to make sure that I'm always learning and stretching myself. And that's where growth comes in.

In previous months, I've focused on areas of personal growth like acceptance of my body, personal responsibility, and emotional maturity. This month, I've been thinking a lot about growth in terms of intellectual development -- growing my mind, learning new things, taking on different perspectives. And one of the primary ways I do that is through my reading. There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful for the wide variety of things I can learn and feel and explore through my reading. There is so much history that I don't know about because of where and when I grew up, and I am working at filling those holes in my knowledge through what I choose to read. I am making a conscious choice to read "hard" books -- those with troubling subjects and hard truths -- in order to expand my awareness. And I am very lucky to have quite a few friends who enjoy reading these kind of books as well and can make good recommendations.

Thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-up and for giving me the nudge every month to reflect!

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I've given much serious thought to intellectual development as I've gotten older, but you make a good point about reading. Since I read a lot, including non-fiction, that makes me feel a little bit better about not becoming intellectually stagnant. You are certainly well-read and a reader of a variety of things. Congratulations on reflection, growth, and l’shanah Tovah u’metukah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comments about reading. I learn so much through reading and sharing it with others. Since I am an introvert and such a homebody (and happy with that), reading is good way to stretch my world. I also love the meaning and tradition associated with Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. I wish you a good holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also learn so much through reading. For example, The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida - I had no idea that Sri Lanka has experienced such struggles in recent years. (Maybe even still going on?) I love how historical fiction can teach me so much in such interesting ways. (I completely credit Philippa Gregory with my knowledge of all of Henry's wives -- but her books also fueled my interest in Tudor history and have inspired me to learn even MORE, which is why I love all of those PBS shows and have read more non-fiction about the time period. It all feeds in!)

    This was a lovely reflection on growth and I'm with you: I'm thankful for lots of friends who read hard stuff. I love that we can help each other through it and encourage each other. And reassure each other when we need breaks and to enjoy a Maisie Dobbs or two in the interim ;)

    Happy New Year! I wish you and your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am nodding along with your thoughts on all that reading brings to my life. And like you, I have tried to read harder, read to learn, read to enlighten... as well as to read for joy!

    I love this touch to intellectual growth... it fits will with being a life long learner. Great work and Shanah Tova to you and your families!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect mesh of experience and life and celebration, Sarah. I learn so much from my own reading, and can't imagine where I would be without books in my life. May this most special time of year bring you joy and reflection. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you aligned your word with Rosh Hashanah this month! I'm thankful for reading and access to an abundance of books every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Carole--what fine timing for such thoughtful reflections.
    Your post reminds me of an Aha! moment I had as a little kid. I remember it striking me--hard--the fact that if you can read, you can learn about absolutely anything you want! Anything at all! The realization was absolutely enormous to me--and still is.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved how this New Year happens with the change of seasons ... there is something that encourages growth and reflection with the crisper air and more even day/night-time. Happy New Year - and cheers for hard books as a way to learn!

    ReplyDelete