Pages

Friday, August 25, 2023

Ready for a Long Weekend

Happy Friday, friends! It's been a week, hasn't it? I've had plans in the evening three of the past four days, so even though the days haven't been too stressful, it's been an exhausting several days. Fortunately I have a long weekend to look forward to, because I'm taking Monday off. That's partly because I needed to take a vacation day (I was getting close to the maximum amount of time I can accrue) and partly because it's Mo's last day of summer vacation before she starts eighth grade(!) on Tuesday.

Last night's activity was a conversation and book signing with Celeste Ng put on by my local independent bookstore. It was held at a church down the street from me, very conveniently, and was a great way to spend an evening, even after a long day of work. The last time I went to one of these events, the place was packed and all the books were presigned, so it was nice to have a smaller crowd and to be able to talk to Celeste for a few minutes while she signed my book.

I also learned last night that she was actually born in Pittsburgh and lived here through elementary school before moving to suburban Cleveland, and she shared some memories of her elementary school library (as well as the fact that she learned that the school building was demolished a number of years ago because it was suspected to be haunted and the school board was worried about ghost hunters!).

I got a good amount of sock knitting done at the event, and when I got home, I skeined up the handspun that I finally finished plying yesterday during a long and fairly pointless work meeting. I did not have a chance to wash it yet, so bear in mind that this is not its final state.


This fiber is South African Superfine, which means it's a very fine (read: very soft) merino, so I expect it will poof up a bit and the skein will shrink, but right now it's a light fingering weight. We'll see what happens.

This weekend is looking wide open in terms of plans, which is fine by me. We have loose plans to get together with my in-laws, who have now recovered from COVID, and the Mister is planning to participate in a cycling event that has routes all over the city on Sunday, which means Mo and I will be on our own for much of the day. I'm hoping to sleep in a little and get some extra reading time in, but other than that, I'll just take the weekend as it comes. Hope it's a good one for you!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That author event sounds wonderful! Her last book was not my cup of tea, but I really liked her first two. I do think you get a better understanding of the book if you can hear the author speak.

    Enjoy your long, mostly open weekend. Kids don't start back to school here until after Labor Day but it's approaching. All the best to your 8th grader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice reading/knitting/spinning weekend sounds perfect. Glad to hear your in-laws are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been watching author talks from the Edinburgh Book Festival. I have that book on my kindle too. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love that yarn! A nice open weekend sounds lovely, fingers crossed for sleeping in and extra reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice author event!! Glad to read that you have a relaxing weekend planned - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome any chance to meet an author, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful author event, Sarah! How fun! Hope your long weekend is going perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your weekend has been quiet with the time you need to rejuvenate. Happy First Day of Eighth Grade to Mo! I imagine she is excited to see her friends and get the year underway. What a wonderful author event.

    ReplyDelete