Pages

Monday, October 30, 2023

A Real Fall Weekend

It is allegedly Monday morning, but it is dark and wet here, and after no one slept well last night, we are all a little slow today. I made sure to brew a little extra coffee this morning, but I would not be surprised if I need a cup of tea later.

Luckily the rain held off for the Halloween party on Saturday afternoon, though attendance was lighter than in previous years -- just us, our siblings and their families, and a few friends. And that was just fine. As promised, here are the costumes!

My brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and nephews 1 and 2 as a firehouse dalmatian, fire truck, fire, and firefighter




My sister-in-law, brother, and nephew 3 as Harold and the Purple Crayon

Us as a Pantone color swatch, a frappuccino, and the Brawny man

I did indeed manage to ply my entire skein of handspun on Friday, thanks to a much-needed quiet work day, and I found just enough light on Saturday to photograph it.

I ended up with about 415 yards of two-ply fingering weight. The technique I used (with the marled singles) isn't too apparent because the colors kind of blend together, but I am pleased with how evenly distributed the colors are in the finished skein. I think I will try the technique again with colors that are more contrasting. This skein is certainly the perfect colors for the time of year, thought!



Mo and I did make it out to the fiber festival, in the rain, yesterday and made exactly one purchase -- yarn for Mo to knit her first sweater! I'll have to share a photo later in the week, though, because nothing I could take today would do the colors justice. I will tell you that she plans to knit a Flax (DK weight), likely in a cropped body with short sleeves, but she is going to wait until after the musical she's in is over because she's super busy right now. I'm excited to get her going!

Finally, because this month has flown by so fast, I've only just realized that this is the last Monday of the month and I'm due for a One Little Word check-in. That will have to come tomorrow, so you'll get an extra post from me. Happy Monday, friends -- I hope it's gentle on you!

9 comments:

  1. What fun costumes. That yarn is screaming autumn and how exciting that Mo is knitting a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everyone's costumes! They are all quite creative and fun. The loveliness of that beautiful handspun and Mo getting ready to knit a sweater are also wonderful. A delightful fall weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The costumes are BRILLIANT!! I love them all! :)

    And as I said on IG... that skein is just WOW Sarah! I am going to have to try that technique! And GO MO on your first sweater!

    Happy Monday! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun costumes, Sarah! (I love Mo's especially. So creative!) The little boys are so adorable. XO Your spinning, as always, is just lovely. And I'm so excited about Mo's sweater!!! I can't wait to watch it unfold (if you/she choose to share her progress).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun weekend you had (in spite of the weather). I love that Mo is going to knit a sweater - can't wait to see her chosen yarn/color. The Halloween costumes are all so great - y'all are so creative - I can never think of anything!! Your Fall Handspun Skein is gorgeous - that would make a beautiful Hitchhiker (or with another skein a Hitchhiker on the Move), or a Close to You shawl. The colors are so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone's costumes are delightful! I really love how that skein spun up—those colors are absolutely my wheelhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those Halloween costumes and I bet you all had a great time at the party! How exciting that Mo will be knitting her first sweater. She's a lucky knitter to have you by her side to help her along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the Halloween costumes are so fun. I love the frappuccino. The skein of handspun is, as always, beautiful. How fun that Mo wants to knit a sweater. She is lucky to have you to get her started.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE those Halloween costumes - how fun to have a party to show them off! and woohoo for Mo's first sweater!!

    ReplyDelete