Pages

Monday, October 16, 2023

Just What I Needed

It is a gloomy Monday morning here (pretty typical for this time of year, actually), but I am caffeinated and ready to kick off a new week after a restful weekend. If there's any indication that I needed a weekend, I think it's the fact that I slept for 9+ hours Friday night. I was also up at 4:30 this morning (I heard Mo walking around and was worried -- she woke up with cramps and was up taking Advil), so there's a very good possibility of a cat nap or two this afternoon.

We had a very wet Saturday -- it literally rained All Day -- so it was a good day for going to see a long movie. The girls had a great time, and the Mister and I were pretty entertained as well. The Eras Tour movie is much like attending the concert, except you can actually see the details up close without having to pay exorbitant fees for tickets right next to the stage. My plan for knitting for the movie was to take my sister-in-law's socks, as I'd hoped to have gotten through the heel by the time we went. I ended up not quite getting through the last of it, and I tried to finish up in the theater but made some blunder and ended up having to take it out in the hall to fix. But then I was good to go and ended up knitting quite a lot of the sock.

At this point I think I only have about an inch or so of the foot left to knit before I start the toe!

Yesterday the weather was better, but it was still chilly and damp, so another good day to stay inside. I focused on the second sock of my colorwork pair, and getting through that one is my top priority this week.

I am obviously not worried about the socks matching; the color repeat is long and frankly I just don't care. I think this second sock is going faster now that I know exactly what's happening. I got through about one repeat of the stripe pattern yesterday afternoon while babysitting two large pots of chicken stock. I'd depleted my stores of frozen stock when I had COVID, so I thought this was a good opportunity to restock (I always like to have some soup in the freezer in the winter). I've now got about four quarts of it, and when I skimmed off the fat this morning, I found that the broth was more of a gel, which tells me it's a good strong stock.


I am hoping this week will be fairly calm, though I have quite a lot of meetings on my calendar. My boss is off all this week, and I'm taking the day off on Friday, partly because I needed to use some PTO and partly because Mo will be off from school (they have standardized testing this week and then parent/teacher conferences). I hope that I'll be able to end the week with a finished pair of socks!

9 comments:

  1. I need to clean out the fridge and freezer and make space for some soup. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be willing to bet that you may have been the only person to leave the Taylor Swift movie to fix a hand-knitted sock in the hall! That stock looks lovely and it's even better because you used the time making it to knit more on that beautiful sock. All in all, a pretty good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stock looks good and rich by the color. There is nothing better than a good home made chicken soup after you've been out in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cheers for 9+ hours of sleep! A beautiful thing. (As are the socks. They remind me of a Lite Brite!)
    I hope Mo responds well to the Advil. I remember those early days when I was literally on the floor trying to curl my bangs(!) for school. Enjoy the Friday together. Any plans?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to have stock in the freezer! And I think not worrying about matching those rainbow socks is smart, they look fine as they are. I almost went to see the Eras Tour movie with Hannah Saturday night but I ended up staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the color in both pairs of socks is inspiring. The green pair reminds me a granny smith apples. Stock in the freezer is a good thing. I like to make vegetable stock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to a good week, Sarah. XO And I noticed that all my vegetable stock is . . . gone. Time to get cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Playing some catch up and couldn't resist commenting about the fantastic juju for your SIL's socks ... I'm sure having them "see" Taylor Swift must impart some kind of charm?!

    ReplyDelete