Pages

Friday, October 20, 2023

It's the Little Things

It is a dark, rainy Friday here. I've taken the day off to hang out with Mo (she's off because it's a parent/teacher conference day after a week of standardized testing), and though I let my alarm go off at the regular time this morning, I decided I could allow myself to snooze once. When I came downstairs, I added a little extra coffee to the pot so I could have two full cups in my favorite mug. The news has been hard this week, so I am trying to focus on life's little pleasures, like this view I had while on my walk yesterday morning -- that tree on the right was already a gorgeous shade of orange, but I happened to catch it as a beam of sunlight was hitting it, making it look like it was on fire:

One good thing to come out of this week? I finished my socks!


Pattern: Lot of Socks by Lisa K. Ross, size Medium
Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4ply (75% wool/25% nylon) in Black and Rum Runner
Needles: US 2 (2.75 mm) and US 1 (2.25 mm)
Started/Completed: October 4/October 18

This pattern is one that is a lot easier than it looks. It's mosaic colorwork, which means you're only ever knitting with one color. That does mean that my fabric is still a little wonky, despite having washed the socks and smoothed them out a little to dry. I expect that as I wear them, everything will even out. They knit up pretty quickly, which I credit to the larger-than-usual needles I was using. It's amazing how much of a difference 0.75 millimeters can make!

In addition to keeping my eye out for bits of beauty and joy, a way of dealing with the heartache in the world at the moment has been small efforts to help others. These may not directly help with the current situation in the Middle East or other places where there is conflict, there are always people in need and always people who can be helped. Yesterday I made my fourth successful blood donation of the year; this was my 17th donation since I started actively focusing on it a few years ago. And because it's been a while since I last knit one, I cast on for a charity hat:

I'm using the variegated skein from the set I used for my COVID blanket, which I think looks a little like camouflage -- not really my aesthetic, but I know someone will love it. I'm using my top-down any yarn/any gauge pattern (Ravelry link) and plan to use up all the yarn if I can.

My parents are in Florida this month, so tonight we're taking dinner over to my brother and sister-in-law's house. Today Mo and I will be baking challah and a cake for dessert, and we're going to use some of our butternut squash to try a variation on a recipe I found online (subbing sun-dried tomatoes for the prosciutto and probably eliminating some of the butter). It's supposed to rain pretty much all day, so we will hang out at home and do some crafting in between active cooking time.

There's a lot of ugliness out there right now, friends, so remember to put your own oxygen mask on first. Have a the best weekend available to you, and take care.

12 comments:

  1. Good advice in that last sentence. Sometimes it is hard to see the good among all the ugliness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paying attention to good things like fall colors, knitting for others, and time with family - let that nourish your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the socks! They look like the Lite Brite toy we had as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leaves are turning here too—there's a tree a few buildings down in my complex that is the most spectacular orange right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've posted many good things - spending the day with Mo, the leaves, blood donations, a charity hat, dinner with your brother, and those stunning socks. Put them on and show them off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love posts like this, full of daily life and quiet moments and appreciation for the little things. I hope you had a wonderful family dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. According to a Twin Cities TV station's color map, our fall colors are at their peak this weekend. A glance out my window confirms it. But my heart still hurts for the Mid East.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help a little to know that even when events in the world are upsetting, Mother Nature still knows how to put on a good show.

      Delete
  8. The colors are showing up here too. I like the spirit of trying to help someone. I've been extending as much simple kindness as possible. It's also good to gather with family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoyed a calm and restful weekend, Sarah. I, too, am trying to take "beauty-breaks" and spend time doing things I enjoy . . . while staying away from the internet, social media, and the news as much as I can. Much love and peace to you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wise words, Sarah. And I think you make such a good point--that reaching out to make an impact close to home may not *change* the trajectory of horror across the globe, but it does put good into the world. And it brings light (or warmth...or life...) to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was rainy in Erie as well last Friday... and the most memorable moment was on our "off the beaten path" path finding a plethora of Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets in the trees singing their little hearts out! We were ducking out of the rain under the canopy of trees and the impromptu concert brought some light to a dark day (both in the weather and the global crisis happening. (A slice of challah sounds so perfect though!)

    ReplyDelete