Pages

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Knitting Independence

Thank you for all of your compliments on the Red Sox sweater! I'm so pleased with how it turned out and can't wait to see it modeled on the recipient. It is now wrapped up and ready to be shipped out; I'll be taking it to the post office first thing Saturday morning.

Although I didn't have a deadline for completing the sweater (other than the one I'd imposed on myself), while working on it I felt a sense of urgency to finish it. Now that it's done, I find myself with only one WIP: my Embossed Leaves socks. And look! A finished sock!

(Apologies for the crummy picture. We had typical holiday/day off weather here in Western Pennsylvania -- muggy and overcast, so no good natural light.)

The first sock was finished during lunch yesterday. Yesterday evening, we decided to go to the baseball game on a whim. It was a 4:05 game, so even though we both left work early, we didn't get there until halfway through the game. We still made it in plenty of time for a special post-game concert by Live (which you can see the start of the second sock enjoyed) ...

and a fireworks show. Not a bad way to spend a Tuesday evening!

We had a very mellow 4th. J has been home all week and we'd hoped to be able to go to the pool, but the weather did not cooperate, so we stayed home and relaxed. I managed to get laundry done and run the dishwasher and write nearly all of my thank-you notes for shower gifts. Perhaps not the most exciting day to spend a day off, but at least it was productive and will cut down on some of the chores I have to do over the weekend.

I also started planning for a new project. We have some friends who are expecting a baby boy in November, so I am swatching for Kate Gilbert's Pea Pod Baby Set (pdf). I've done some looking around at the yarns others have used for this pattern on Ravelry and found that Knit Picks Shine Sport seems to be a popular substitution. Fortuitously, I have six skeins in the stash in a lovely shade of light blue that will do very nicely. Tonight, I am swatching.

Hope you had a great 4th!

3 comments:

  1. Tom loves Live, but we decided that three times at PNC Park in a week was enough.

    When we were leaving the game on Wednesday afternoon, we saw Ryan Doumit! And we said hi! And he said hi! And it was very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun! Socks at a baseball game. That sounds like such fun relaxation! I'm jealous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The embossed leaves are looking good. I am working on a pair for my daughter in Tofutsies. I am looking forward to knitting at the game on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete