Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Finished: Embossed Leaves #2

First things first -- down to the business of the latest FO.

Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks by Mona Schmidt (Interweave Knits winter 2005/Favorite Socks)
Yarn: Koigu KPPPM (100% merino), colorway P429, two skeins
Needles: two US 1 (2.5 mm) 12" Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: June 27/July 8
Mods: I used a regular long-tail cast on and joined for working in the round from the beginning, worked twisted rib for one inch, and did not cut the yarn after turning the heel.

Love these! The Koigu is an absolute dream to work with, and I loved not only the feel of the yarn but the lusciousness of the color. These socks are actually shades of muted greens and charcoal grays, somewhat difficult to capture on camera. Amazingly, I saw almost no pooling in these socks; what little there is can't really be seen if you aren't looking for it.

I have not yet frogged the original sock of this pair (or so I thought); thanks to a very helpful comment left by Amber, I was able to find another skein in P531! One day soon, therefore, I'll have another pair of Embossed Leaves to call my own.

Today was Stitch 'n Pitch and I have only one word for it: HOT! There are no pictures of any of the knitters or their companions because we were all rather, um, damp. I did manage to cast on and knit about an inch and a half of a new sock:

This is the TOFUtsies I bought for myself in Hilton Head. I'm just going a simple garter rib because I didn't want the colorway to compete with the pattern. I'm finding it strangely satisfying not to have to think about lace or where the yarn over should go.

I am, however, getting a little lace fix with the other project I recently cast on:


This is the beginning of the cardigan from Kate Gilbert's Pea Pod Baby Set (pdf). It's knitting up supercute and it's very hard to put it down without completing a chart. Its intended recipient isn't due to make his arrival until November, but I have a feeling this sweater will be complete long before then!

Meanwhile, we just found out some other friends of ours are expecting a baby -- due in January, sex not to be known until it's born. I think another Baby Surprise Jacket may be in my future!

8 comments:

  1. i just cast on my embossed leaves today--what an addictive pattern! so easy. and i am loving the koigu. i hope mine come out as beautiful as yours do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Two pair of the same pattern in one wardrobe? That NEVER happens. lol!

    The TOFUtsies looks great. A perfect hot summer yarn and color. I feel cooler just looking at it. ;)

    Babies, babies, babies... lol! Have you seen the "Presto Chango" pattern? I'm going to be making that soon for expectant friends... waiting to find out the gender in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. God. You should see the sunburn I have. I guess I should have thought twice about bringing the sunscreen along to reapply! I went through my bags when we got home (after I showered, ugh, so sweaty) and I ended up with 5 gauge checkers. One for every room of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, you whipped those out quickly! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:52 PM

    Baby knitting is so much fun!
    Your Embossed Leaves are beautiful in the Koigu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes baby knits are awesome. My problem is I don't know anyone having any babies. Oh well guess they can go in the someday grandchildren pile. I am burned something fierce on my neck! I have a pic of you and Jenn. I will post on my blog later. I know we were all hot and icky feeling by the time it was over. I can not believe you guys stayed in the sun. We moved to higher ground and shade and it was much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I started the Pea Pod Sweater and I couldn't get the ribbing to work out correctly...how did you do it? The numbers just don't add up to me...a ten stitch repeat with 118 stitches...12 of those seed stitch, leaves 106...ten doesn't divide into 106 evenly so how did you do it?

    Patiently waiting for your response :-)

    Marly aka Yarn Thing
    knitthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMM... Koigu!

    Your socks look great and you've definitely got some great projects coming up. I look forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete