Pages

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Resurrection

Ever since finishing the toys, I've been turning back to old UFOs. For one, the Big Gray Tube v. 2.0, also known as The Mister's second Seamless Hybrid. I've been working on it mainly at knit night, because stockinette in the round is least likely to get messed up while gossiping (or in the case of last night, drooling over Maryland Sheep & Wool fiber and yarn acquisitions). For a while there I was in the black hole of knitting -- you know, where you knit and knit and knit, but your knitting doesn't get any bigger? -- but after last night I seem to be approaching the end of the body. I'm only about an inch and a half from the length of the last sweater, so now I just have to get The Mister to finally decide how much longer he wants this one to be.

My other knitting this week, when I've been able to concentrate, is a UFO that has not seen the light of day for many months -- I think not since before I got married. Remember Icarus?

It's slightly bigger than the last time you saw it, but it's still pretty slow going with this yarn. It's supposedly lace weight, but I think it's actually more of a cobweb weight. I don't think I'll be able to rescue a dropped stitch without a lot of trouble, so I'm being extra careful. I am trying to finish this up in the next month or so because I signed up for the Goddess Knits Anniversary Mystery Shawl KAL -- my first mystery KAL -- and I feel a weird sort of obligation to finish the lace already on the needles before I start another lace project.

For the next couple of days, however, I am abandoning pretty much all knitting in favor of kitchen cotton.


Somehow last night the thought popped into my head that some knit dishcloths would make really good Mother's Day presents. This is the first; I have three more skeins of cotton in the stash. They're not much in the way of yardage, but they will certainly help me in my goal to reduce my stash yardage by at least 1,000 yards (Ravelry link) in the month of May.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:58 PM

    I really like your first washcloth. Very nice colors. And I love the color of the Icarus.

    I'm so excited to get back into knitting again. I'm working on finishing UFOs too.

    Also - your turtle is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 PM

    Good for you for getting out the UFO's to complete them. I *so* need to do that as well.

    Great idea to knit washcloths for Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cobweb weight? Eek! My (knitted) hats off to you, I'm not sure I could go that thin.

    Seeing as how I felted the little bit of laceweight that I had duing the KA dye run last week, I'm sure the yarn doesn't want me either. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what a cool goal! I am resurrecting a few FOs of my own this month, we'll see how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *rubs her eyes*

    You? Are knitting with kitchen cotton?

    Jeez, I've been gone for two days and the world has gone topsy turvy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hope your washcloths were well received. I went a little crazy with the dishcloth dresses, but I was pleased with the receptions. very gratifying.

    ReplyDelete