Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Yes, I DO Knit with Cotton!

Although most of the time I'm a wool and wool blend kind of girl, I do occasionally get the urge to knit with some cotton. Like the past several days, when I decided to use up the rest of the kitchen cotton in the stash to make some fast and easy (and economical!) Mother's Day gifts. Each mother got one of each of the following designs.

Pattern: Chinese Waves Dishcloth
Yarn: Lily Sugar'n Cream (100% cotton), colorways Summer Splash (left) and Strawberry (right), one skein each
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Started/Completed: May 8/May 9 (left); May 9/May 10 (right)
Mods: none

This is a very easy four-row pattern, two of which are all knit. One side, as you see in the dishcloth at left, is a staggered slip-stitch pattern, while the reverse side (at right) is a nubby, slightly denser-than-usual garter stitch.


Pattern: Martini Glass Dishcloth (Ravelry link)
Yarn: Lily Sugar'n Cream Super Size, colorways Swimming Pool (left) and Key Lime Pie (right), less than one skein each
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Started/Completed: May 9/May 10 (left); May 10/May 10 (right)
Mods: none

The two skeins I used for these were larger than the other two by a third, so I have some leftovers with which to make myself a couple smaller dishcloths. (I'll save them for use in the new house, so in the meantime they'll serve as good padding while we pack up all our belongings!)

The dishcloths were a big hit with the moms, and an added bonus is that all the dishcloth cotton is now out of the stash, with a total used yardage of approximately 475 yards.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:31 PM

    Those are so pretty!! Makin' me want to do some warshcloths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom said that the dishcloths I made her were among her favorite presents ever (?!)...love yours, and nice stash reduction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great! I really dig that Chinese Waves pattern. Hmmm...

    *runs off to queue*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely like the Chinese Waves pattern. It seems like a great texture for a washcloth - I will definitely have to use it sometime. The Martini Glass cloths are really cute...

    P.S. So much great stuff!! I'm loving your handspun yarn - the Navajo plied "watermelon" and the pink two ply are both gorgeous! Also, your Baudelaire's and baby booties are lovely, Sheldon totally rocks, and your Icarus and Seamless Hybrid are coming along nicely : ) Wowie! If I don't keep up to date in my blog reading, you totally swamp me with goodness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Dishcloths are a big hit with my family and friends too. I love that Chinese Waves pattern, I don't think I've seen it before.

    Cute!

    ReplyDelete