Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

And Miles to Go Before I Sleep

Although I don't think Robert Frost was referring to treadling on a spinning wheel when he wrote that.

Yes, I'm still plying. Here's what the bobbin -- the jumbo bobbin, mind you -- looked like earlier this evening.
It looks like a decent amount of yarn until you look at how much is left on the bobbins of singles.

I put in about another hour of plying after taking these shots, and it finally looks like I've made a dent. I've set tomorrow as my deadline for finishing; we're having a big group over for a cookout on Saturday, so the wheel has to go upstairs and out of the way before then.

The good news is that, as the bobbin fills up, it's getting a little easier to treadle. Still, it's noticeably harder than with the regular head, so I can't sit at the wheel as long as usual. The only consolation to all this plying taking so long is that I'm bound to have a big honking skein of sock yarn when I'm done!

No more spinning for tonight for me. Tonight, it's all about the Mystery Stole (4, that is). I'm going to try to finish up the rest of the first clue before the next one comes out tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. "Although I don't think Robert Frost was referring to treadling on a spinning wheel when he wrote that."

    Hey, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is looking gorgeous so far! Pretty please bring it with you next Wednesday so I can see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my bloggy friends who spins tends to say "It's yarn. it's finished." about their spinning. That doesn't appeal to me, so at least you're making pretty yarn with a project possible and in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:19 PM

    That's going to be some gorgeous sock yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's some beautiful yarn - I know it's hard sometimes when you think you're "close to done" then you look over and it's as though you barely started... but wow - gorgeous colors... and amazing handiwork - can you just imagine how great whatever you knit with this yarn will be?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't wait to see it all done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:38 PM

    You've reminded me why I bought my Woolee Winder. Plying with the Lendrum bobbins and flyer took *way* too long.

    ReplyDelete