Pages

Friday, December 30, 2022

A Year of Reading

It's been another great year of reading for me, and it's one that isn't over yet, so I'm hesitant to say that this post is an official wrap-up, but it'll have to do.

So far, I've finished 121 books this year (and that includes two books that were read twice) -- not my highest total of recent years, but I think I read a lot more good books this year, so it was a matter of quality over quantity. Here is a general overview of my distribution:

I know it's nearly impossible to see the titles, but you can see that all but five books were rated three stars or higher. For me, three stars is a good book, four stars is a book I loved, and five is something I would read more than once and encourage others to read.

Bearing in mind that there might still be another addition (I'm rereading The Sentence, which was a five-star read for me the first time), here are the books that earned the top rating from me this year, in the order in which I finished them:

Appropriately, both the first and last books I finished (or will have finished) this year were read in Florida while on vacation!

Here are some other interesting statistics:

  • The longest book I read this year (The Books of Jacob) was 992 pages and the shortest (The Bookstore Sisters) was just 36.
  • The overwhelming majority of what I read this year (78 books) was borrowed from the library.
  • It was very much the year of the audiobook for me. I read a record 47 books with my ears this year.
  • I read all the books on the 2022 short lists of three literary prizes: the Aspen Words Literary Prize, the Women's Prize for Fiction, and the Booker Prize (I actually read 10 of the long list nominees for the Booker in the end).
  • I read a total of more than 38,000 pages this year, according to Goodreads.

For 2023, my goal is to continue to read widely and deeply. I have some general goals, but I'm also planning to be flexible because I know how easily I can get distracted by talk of a good book.

  • Read more Erdrich. The Erdrich-along is continuing with two additional books beyond those we'd originally planned to cover, but I'd like to eventually read all her adult fiction. I have hard copies of most of her books and plan to acquire the rest.
  • Read some big Russian books. Katie and I talked a few months ago about doing a very casual buddy read of three big Russian classics: War and Peace, Anna Karenina, and Doctor Zhivago. I've purchased Kindle copies of all three (to save my eyes and my wrists from a big, heavy paper copy!) and plan to work my way through them slowly.
  • Read books already on my shelves. Though most of the books I read come from the library, I've also acquired quite a few through purchases and picking them up from the Free Little Libraries in my neighborhood, so I have a number of physical books I want to read sitting on my shelves. I'd like to try to get through more of them next year.

All in all, I think it's been an excellent year of reading, and I really have few complaints. How was 2022 for you as a reader? Do you have any big plans for reading in 2023? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

 

We are scheduled to fly home Sunday morning (keeping all my fingers crossed that Southwest resolves its issues by then!), so this is likely my last post of 2022(!). I will probably do a wrap-up post on my year of crafting on Monday, but until then, I want to say thank you for reading, commenting, and sharing this past year. I wish you all a calm end to this year and a happy, healthy 2023.

10 comments:

  1. What a rich wrap, Sarah! We share a good handful of those 5 stars... Funny, though, I am finding The Sentence to be...definitely not a favorite of mine. (Which makes me all the more eager to be in discussion!) Wishing you a wonderful Russian classics year. (AK is my very favorite.) And--big, BIG wishes for easy travel! Hoping the fact that you're hugging the coast makes it a bit simpler...
    Happy New Year to you + your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great reading wrap-up! My plan for reading in 2023 is not to have a plan. I have some books queued, but like you, I am easily distracted by the mention of a good book, so I'm going to go with the flow. I have one reading ambition for 2023: to read Transit of Venus. Sending all the good travel juju for a safe and easy flight home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great reading wrap up! I am with Bonny in not having a plan other than to just read!

    I will send you all the good travel juju I can so you all get home on time! Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise3:23 PM

    Anna Karenina is my all-time favourite book, I read it at least once a year. I've also read, and loved, War and Peace: the war as well as the peace! A lot of people skip the war and just read the peace, but it is worth persisting. Dr Zhivago: I have read it but a long time ago. You have prompted me to have another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear such glowing reviews of all three books! I'm looking forward to diving into them.

      Delete
  5. It looks like you had a very good reading year. I am currently rereading Still Life for discussion by my local group in January. It's every bit as good the second time around. Fingers crossed for an uneventful traveling day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly had a great year of reading and I enjoyed this look back at the books you loved most. (I'm a sucker for any post about books and reading!) I don't really set reading goals other than determining the number of books I want to read because I really like to just go with whatever inspires me next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking less might be more for my 2023 reading goals. I am excited that my daughter and I are making some plans for buddy reads in 2023. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice wrap up Sarah. I always enjoy reading your book reviews. Interesting to me how we differ in our tastes (and what a boring world it would be if we were all the same). In your top rated books were Sorrow and Bliss which I found boring and trite at times. Also Taste which, though I enjoyed the recipes, I found the book to be an ego trip for Tucci. The TV show was even worse - really self serving (my opinion). I thought "Still Life" was good, but not fabulous. HOWEVER... we both agree on The Marriage Portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've so enjoyed talking books and reading with you this year - looking forward to continuing that in 2023! My two big intentions for 2023 are to read deeper into a few favorite authors (I want to continue exploring Erdrich's backlist, plus Barbara Kingsolver and Virginia Woolf, and maybe Penelope Lively) and the Booker and Womens Prize winners. Those two lists account for much of my front-list favorites, so I'm sure mining their previous winners will be rewarding and fun!

    ReplyDelete