Pages

Monday, December 05, 2022

Feeling a Bit Scattered

I won't lie -- it was hard to get up this morning. Monday mornings are always a little rough, but Rainbow was feeling a bit anxious about things last night and so had some trouble settling down for sleep, which meant the two of us were squeezed into her twin bed for a couple of hours. I did sleep a little, but it's not the best sleep.

Now I am properly caffeinated and planning to go out for a run soon, but first, a crafting update. We had a fairly quiet weekend, so I was able to do quite a lot of crafting, though lately I've been jumping from project to project. As much as I was trying to focus on finishing Rainbow's Hitchhiker, I realized that I'm under no actual deadline to finish it because she knows about, so I could take it to Florida if it's not done by then. I do, however, want to finish up the baby sweater before we leave so I can give it to my brother and sister-in-law as a Chrismakah present, so I gave it some attention.

Those red strings at the front are holding the stitches for the pockets, which are created in a very clever way. First, you slip the live stitches onto a stitch holder or waste yarn. Then you pick up the same number of stitches by putting your needle into the purl bump at the back of each stitch on hold. Eventually I'll put the stitches on waste yarn back onto the needles and knit the front of the pockets. Yes, I realize the uselessness of knitting pockets for a newborn, but they're too cute not to!

Because working on the shawl and the sweater weren't enough (yes, I am ignoring my Recalibrate for the moment), I cast on for a charity hat last night.

This skein of Cascade 220 Superwash Handpaints was in my leftovers bin, but when I weighed it, it turned out to be a full skein. I know it's leftover from a baby sweater I knit years ago, and clearly I had wound it thinking I'd need to break into the second skein to finish, but I guess I didn't. In any case, this is the very small start to a Twirl Away hat, which I am knitting both for the Giftalong and for the Pigskin Party.

One thing I did manage to finish was the first bobbin of singles from my Fibernymph Dye Works Holiday Countdown set using half of the fiber (shown in black and white here to avoid spoilering anyone):


After opening all the bags of fiber and seeing the colors, I changed my mind on a couple of them, so the ones in this bobbin aren't completely in order, not that it really matters. It wasn't possible to do an even split of warm and cool colors, so this bobbin is generally softer, more muted colors, and the second bobbin will be brighter, more intense colors. I'm planning to chain-ply both, so this one will sit while I spin up the second half of the fiber.

Right, time to get moving if I want to get my run in before my team meeting! Here's hoping Monday is kind to all of us.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Mind blown on that pocket construction! And yes, they will be so adorable!

    I hope your week is less stressful (and stay warm running in this chilly air!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While they sound clever (if a bit fiddly), those pockets are useful in terms of cuteness. I'm looking forward to seeing the sweater. I hope the rest of Monday treats you more kindly than the start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is going to be SO cute! I hope you feel more settled as the day progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow~ That baby sweater will be so darling!! Sorry both you and Rainbow had a rough night of it - hoping tonight is a more gentle one for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the love for pockets in baby sweaters! and kudos for the new hat pattern - you and Rainbow model them well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my favorite thing about this post is how awesome it can be to work from home...showing up in a variety of ways--not just for work, but for yourself and your family...which always felt some version of hard when I went onto campus daily. Here's to a better night's sleep for everyone tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby sweater will be a welcome gift, pockets and all. I'll be anxious to see the spinning project in color. I completely understand about avoiding spoilers though. The hat you have cast on has an interesting texture and finding a full skein in stash is a nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never resist pockets . . . on anything. I can't wait to see the little sweater all knit up! I hope you and Rainbow were able to sleep easier last night. XO

    ReplyDelete