Pages

Friday, August 09, 2024

Out with the Old, In with the New

It's a gloomy, slightly soggy Friday morning here in Pittsburgh as the remains of Debby are moving through. Fortunately it looks like most of the rain is going to stay east of us (we could still use the rain, but I also want to go for a run this morning and don't care for running in wet shoes). The good news is that the humidity is supposed to go way down after the rain moves out, and I am more than ready for that!

As promised, after I posted on Wednesday, I did cast on some new projects. First, I started a new charity hat so I'd have something mindless to work on. I knit the crown during a couple of work meetings that day and now have started just working in the round until it's long enough to do the ribbing.


The yarn I'm using might surprise you -- it's totally acrylic! This is the remains of a skein of Lion Brand Mandala Ombré that was originally on the giveaway table at the retreat last month. Mo crocheted a hat to add to the donations that were being collected for Knit the Rainbow while we were there, so I brought the rest home to make my own hat. It's actually not too bad to work with, though it is a little splitty because of the way it's made (it's a cabled yarn, so it's a bunch of two-ply yarns twisted together without the stickiness of wool to hold it together). I do like the colors, and I'm sure it'll make someone happy.

I have also started a new pair of socks for moi!


This is a skein of Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in the colorway Sugarplummed. I've had it in my stash for at least a year, and I'd actually wound it and taken it to the retreat last month thinking that I would fly through my father-in-law's socks and need yarn to cast on another pair. Ha! I thought I'd do an actual pattern rather than just plain-old stockinette to change things up a bit. It's basically this pattern (Ravelry link), though I didn't buy the pattern and instead just figured out how to make the chevrons work with my gauge and my stitch count. It's a pretty easy two-round repeat with the stitch pattern worked only on the front of the leg/instep, so it's moving fairly quickly. I cast on Wednesday evening and already have about four inches of the leg knit.

This weekend we have some fun things planned. This evening some cousins are coming to stay with us on their way home from vacation, so we'll have dinner together tonight and breakfast tomorrow before they leave. I'm also planning to go to the big used book sale at a local church that I've been looking forward to all year since I missed it last year and had major FOMO when I saw the amazing stack of books that my sister-in-law bought. A library hold on a new release just came up for me, and the weather is going to be spectacular on top of all that. I'm sure there won't be enough time for all I want to do, but that's life!

Have a great weekend, friends!

9 comments:

  1. I'm liking both your new projects! The colors in each are wonderful (and must be fun after your FIL's socks - LOL). We are still having rain and it is soggy with rising humidity and rising temps. I do hope the forecasted weekend comes through. The church book sale sounds great! My friend in NC always gets fabulous books at a church book sale. Your weekend sounds like it will be lovely and fun - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new projects are awesome! I especially love those socks for YOU! I am eagerly waiting for the humidity to depart! I am so over these soggy days! Have a great weekend (and enjoy that book sale!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new socks! And I hope you have a fun weekend and get to do ALL.THE.THINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the colors in the ombre and I love the colors in Sugarplummed! That is going to be a beautiful pair of socks. And a weekend with (hopefully) lower humidity and an incredible book sale sounds just perfect. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love those socks! Keeping my fingers crossed that you have tremendous luck at the book sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your chevron socks! Good luck at your book sale. I found some real birding treasures at ours, recently, along with some obscure local history.
    One book I’ve not been able to get in print (just CD!) is our upcoming WP Backlist book. The Road Home just came in the mail from Thriftbooks today. Two ahead of it, so I better quicken my pace.
    Happy weekending to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your socks...the colors/pattern work beautifully together. What is the name of the hat pattern? I find I need more mindless knitting these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat pattern is my own -- it's called Spinning in Infinity, and it's an any-gauge top-down hat pattern.

      Delete
  8. I do love the new sock with the yarn. Self-striping yarn is always fun to knit. The weekend sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete