Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Unraveled, Week 33/2024

Well, I jinxed myself. I put it in writing that I was hoping for an easy workweek, and the universe conspired against me and sent me a ton of work that I didn't stop until shortly before dinner on Monday. I've learned my lesson! Fortunately because of that work and some other stuff going on around the office, our team meeting was virtual yesterday, so I got to stay home (where I'm more productive anyway!).

But enough about work -- it's Wednesday, which means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers! A wee bit of knitting has been done the last couple of days, in large part thanks to meetings (oh, so many meetings), and I have finished my charity hat:

This was the perfect knitting for what's been happening lately -- I really only had to think while I was increasing the crown, and then I switched to ribbing when I felt like it was long enough. I used my Spinning in Infinity pattern (Ravelry link) and US 5/3.75 mm and US 4/3.5 mm needles. I ended up using the equivalent of about half of the skein of yarn, from which Mo had already crocheted a charity hat while we were at the retreat, and there was a small ball weighing about 5 g remaining. Not bad!

While given the choice, I will still prefer to knit with natural fibers, I was rather impressed with the quality of this 100% acrylic yarn. It feels good and is not squeaky to work with. IT was a bit splitty, but that's down more to the construction of it than the fiber content. And certainly for a charity hat, with an unknown recipient with unknown laundering abilities, it makes a lot of sense.

I have once again failed to finish a book in the last week. Being busy at work has played a part, but I've also been focused on A Suitable Boy. At some point I mistakenly thought I was a week ahead, and the result is that I ended up a week behind, so I had to read two weeks' worth of chapters to get caught up. And now that I have a little more than 300 pages remaining, I'm feeling excited about finishing! The way I see it, this one book is the length of approximately five average-length books, so I'm not being too hard on myself about my lack of finishes lately.

What are you making and reading this week? Anyone else feel like they need to cram in more books before the end of the summer?

8 comments:

  1. That hat is really fun, Sarah! It will be a delight to a head when the weather is cold! I was just looking at my "want to read this summer" book list and there are a few things I'd like to get to! (so I better get to them! ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The charity hat turned out so cute Sarah! The colors are wonderful and you are right about acrylic yarn maybe being the best for a charity hat. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next on your needles. I'm knitting a sock (as one does) and I started a new shawl. Reading-wise I started The Ministry of Time and so far I'm enjoying it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hat is lovely, and reminds me of sherbet colors. That skein has proved fruitful for charity hats!
    I'll be interested in your thoughts after you finish A Suitable Boy. I'm not sure I could maintain interest or motivation for that long, but I admire the fact that you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great hat! And I'm sorry work has turned against you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute hat. As Bonny said, the colors look like sherbet. I am knitting on a hitchhiker and a summer top and just finished Sipsworth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am 100% feeling the need to squeeze in more of ALL THE THINGS ... books, knitting ... summer! (and I sure thought I already left a comment on this post, but oops I guess not!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought your pattern for the top-down hat. I knit a lot of hats for charity, and it will be fun to change up my patterns. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I've used it a bunch when I want to maximize how much yarn I need and don't want to play yarn chicken.

      Delete