Pages

Monday, August 12, 2024

Pretty Perfect

Good morning, dear readers! I wasn't exactly happy when my alarm went off this morning, but I woke up having had a pretty spectacular weekend. For one thing, the weather was spectacular. After the remnants of Debby moved through on Friday, the temperature and the humidity level dropped and we had sun and blue skies. It was actually a bit chilly in the shade! That meant that we could quite comfortably spend time outside instead of hiding in the air conditioning.

We had a really nice visit with our cousins, though it was very brief -- they arrived late Friday afternoon and left after breakfast on Saturday. Despite not living that far away from these cousins (they live in Chicago), we don't often see them, so it was a treat to spend time with them for the second time in three months.

After breakfast on Saturday, Mo and I went to the big used book sale with my parents. It wasn't quite as big as I was expecting, but I still found quite a lot -- and it was a steal, at $15 for a paper grocery bag full, so I pretty much picked up any book I saw that I was interested in. This is what I came home with:


I have read two of these books but didn't own them, but one of those -- the one at the far left in the bottom row -- is pretty special. The Blue Nature was written by one of my two high school English teachers (I had her freshman and junior year). I read the book back when I was in high school because the school library had a copy; I think it was out of print back then. I never in a million years would have expected to find a copy! This one was a little beat up, but I snatched it up right away and will treasure having it. I'm planning on putting it on my bookshelf next to the book from the collection of my other high school English teacher that I received as a gift with the English prize when I graduated. (If you're wondering, the other book I'd already read was Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.)

A fair amount of knitting was accomplished over the weekend, too:


Somehow my new socks, even though they have patterning every other round, seem to be moving much father than my father-in-law's socks did. Yes, they have fewer stitches, but you'd think plain stockinette would've been faster. I also put in some time on the charity hat while reading, and I don't think it'll be on the needles much longer.

I am hoping this week is a little less busy than last week, as least as far as work is concerned, because I'd love to have a little more time for reading. I had two library holds come up over the weekend and had to delay one, so now I'm trying to finish the first book before the next one comes my way

Have a great start to your week and see you back here on Wednesday!

13 comments:

  1. The change in weather is such a relief, isn't it? Your weekend sounds lovely. A good book sale is always fun and you managed to find a lot! I hope your week is nice and easy work-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather is just AMAZING! I am delighting in it! But your stack of books is just lovely! I have not read many of them... excellent choices! And I am thinking September by Pilcher needs to be a September read! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weather is a welcome respite from the hot and humid summer. Your book haul looks intriguing, and I hope you have plenty of time this week for reading and knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like we all had a great weekend and that may have been due to the weather in large part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great book haul! and perfect timing to pick up September. I (re)read it last September; it was the perfect book for early fall and for before bed (Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favorite "nightstand authors".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ll second Mary here—Rosamund Pilcher on the nightstand! I often think of the coziness of Winter Solstice…wanting “more of that” (but not wanting to reread….). Makes me think I ought to get this one waiting in the wings for if/when I finish my discussion books.
    Love those sherbety colors in your charity hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love Peace Like a River! I read it for my AP English class years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:57 AM

    What a great haul at the book sale. I'm a little jealous you have Peace Like a River ahead of you for the first time. Also I think your charity hat will make someone really happy - those colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it on my TBR list for a while, so I was delighted to find it!

      Delete
  9. Didn't mean to comment anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Used book sales are a lot of fun. You just never know what you will find and you certainly did score a treasure. And September, right before September. I haven't read that one so maybe I'll put it on my fall list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got some treasures! Mountains Beyond Mountains is one of the few books I would give 5 stars to -- it changed my life. I have been donating monthly to Partners in Health, the public health charity he created, ever since I read the book back in the early aughts. My son the doctor -- whose ambition had been to work for Doctors Without Borders -- met him once when he spoke in Boston. Farmer's death was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up that book specifically because you had mentioned it and how wonderful it was!

      Delete