Pages

Monday, August 19, 2024

The Weekend I Needed

After the stress of last week, I am so thankful to have had a nearly uneventful weekend. I got sleep, I exercised, I got my chores done, and I had plenty of time for crafts and reading. We got some much-needed rain. And I wasn't even too bitter when my alarm went off this morning!

I say "nearly uneventful" because there was a bit of excitement yesterday. The Mister and I both woke up shortly before 6 a.m. yesterday morning thinking we'd heard a crash, but we both noticed that the cable box had turned on, so we figured the power had blipped and the sound we heard was everything resetting. When he went out to do the grocery shopping later in the morning, though, he discovered that part of a tree in our neighbors' yard had fallen, taking out part of their fence and hitting the power line on the hillside below it:

While we lost power only briefly, the other side of the street was completely out for most of the day. Luckily the power company was on it, and one they were able to get to the branch and saw off the parts that were pulling on the line, power was restored. Some of you might remember that, three years ago, another branch pulled down a power line on the same hillside and the whole street was without power for a couple of days, so I'm glad it wasn't as big of an issue this time around!

I'm also thankful that my crafting didn't rely on power in any case. I spent a good amount of the weekend at my wheel, plying this long-in-progress skein:

This is the body skein for my next handspun sweater, and I'm hoping those of you who couldn't quite understand my color progression explanation will get it now that you can see the skein. It's still fairly damp, so I don't have yardage yet, but based on the number of wraps on my niddy-noddy, I'm not concerned. The mini skein off to the side is a two ply from the singles that were left after two of the three bobbins ran out. Once I focused on the final bobbin of singles, this skein was finished up fairly quickly (isn't it funny how that works?), so I'm pretty confident I can get the two (much smaller) sleeve skeins done soon, maybe by the end of the month. It would be great to be able to cast on the sweater in September!

This week is likely to be busy, but I have an extra-long weekend coming up. I'm taking Friday off because it's Mo's last day of summer break, so we're going to have a girls' day with my mother, and she has a half day next Monday for her first day, so I'm taking that day off as well so we can do lunch when I pick her up. I might regret it next week when work is piling up, but I'll try to enjoy the time off as much as I can.

Have a great start to your week! See you back here on Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. That is a lovely skein, and I'm beginning to understand. I think your plan to take time off for the last day of break and the first half day of school is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that certainly is something to wake up to! I'm glad that it did get fixed, but all the stress about the freezer and the fridge being without electricity ... aaargh!
    The skein looks super super pretty. I love the colours! Did you do a regular 2-ply with it?

    (Good luck to Mo for her upcoming first day next week! My little niece starts primary school this year, it's wild.) I think it's grand that you want to spend time with her! Time is the most precious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the power was restored on your street fairly quickly! We had a tree down in my neighborhood several weeks ago and didn't have power for about sixteen hours—not terrible, but I was certainly glad to go into the office the next morning and charge my phone and use the office coffee pot! Your handspun is looking great, I can't wait to see how it all knits up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't a "just what I needed" weekend the best?! yay for rain and power and for all the plying progress. That contrast is simply perfect for the pattern you have in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your skein is just gorgeous! It was a great weekend! (Steve took Monday off... so we enjoyed a long weekend which makes a weekend even better!)
    I hope your week goes smoothly, and have fun on Friday with Mo and your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad the power outage was short lived. Your yarn looks beautiful. I bet it will be fun to knit with it. How nice to look forward to the long weekend and the girls day on Friday.

    ReplyDelete