Pages

Monday, June 11, 2007

Finished: Sea Garden Socks

Still catching up on the vacation socks ...

Pattern: my basic stockinette recipe with a 2x2 ribbed cuff and Eye of Patridge heel
Yarn: Autumn House Farms Herdwick Fine (superwash merino), colorway Skye Sea Garden, less than one skein
Needles: one 32" US 1 (2.5 mm) Knit Picks circular, magic loop
Started/Completed: June 5/June 9

These were a pleasure to knit from beginning to end, aside from one minor inconvenience with my finger. The main reason for this was the yarn -- incredibly soft, ridiculously saturated colors, and unbelievable yardage (450 yards in a skein, more than enough for a pair of socks to fit my enormous feet and at least one pair of baby socks). I bought this yarn at the Pittsburgh knitting festival back in February, but the producers are relatively local -- the farm is about five miles from Punxsutawney, Pa. (perhaps I shouldn't be mentioning this where some people might read it and get certain ideas).

This was the first time I'd ever used magic loop, and I quite liked it. I think I'd rate it second on my list of preferred knitting methods, right behind two circs but ahead of dpns. The Knit Picks circ was ideal for this method, as the cord is extremely flexible and forgiving. Unfortunately I discovered the hard way that the tips of the needles are extremely pointy; I'll have to build up the callous on my left index finger before attempting the feat again.

I finished another pair (yes, another pair!) of socks last night, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out all the details.

Tonight, I decided it was high time to block some socks:

Somehow I'd managed to pile up seven pairs of completed socks that had yet to go in for a dip. I attribute this in part to the fact that the weather has not been amenable to the wearing of wool socks and in part to my own laziness. So I threw 'em all in the sink tonight. What you see here is only six pairs, as the seventh is on my makeshift sock blockers. Can you smell the wet wool from there?

3 comments:

  1. In the time it took you to knit all those, I have knit half a sock. Yes. And I don't even have a hole in my finger.

    Would you believe I didn't know that Autumn House Farms existed until last year and I still haven't been there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! What a lot of drying socks! You are prolific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colors! Really? Only half a skeing for those beauties? My Knit Pick needles have very sharp points, too. They are great for lacey designs but I steer clear of them for stockinette patterns. I have not tryed the Magic Loop method and might have to give it a try after seeing your really liked it.

    ReplyDelete