Pages

Thursday, November 06, 2014

Twists and Turns

While I've been telling you a lot about the slow progress I've been making on my projects at home, I just realized I haven't mentioned my lunchtime projects -- and I completely missed sharing a finished project. So let's play catch-up today.

First, the finished item: my handspun Boogaloo Socks.


These are a fairly vanilla pattern (2x2 ribbed cuff, the rest in stockinette), though they do use the simultaneous heel flap and gusset increase method I've become so fond of recently. I'd have to weigh them or my leftover yarn to be certain, but I'd estimate I only used between two-thirds and three-quarters of my skein, leaving quite a bit of yarn leftover. These were started October 3 and finished October 23, and they've already had their first wearing. And I quite like them.

Once the socks were off the needles, I needed another small project for work, so I pulled out some deep-stash winter white Cascade Heritage and cast on for a pair of fingerless mitts. This is the first one in progress, though it's since been finished and I'm now midway through the second mitt.


These aren't too complicated -- just some cables and twisted stitches on the back of the hand, with ribbing at the cuff and top -- but I'm enjoying the project. They look much better worn (because they're designed to be a snug fit so that the cables stretch out and really pop) but I haven't yet mastered the art of taking a photo of my right hand using my left. Once I get the second mitt done, I'll have the Mister snap a photo.

When the mitts are done, I think I will finally cast on for Rainbow's hat with the handspun she commissioned. I wound it into a cake on Monday while I was home with her, so I just have to figure out the appropriate needle size and do a few calculations to get that started.

No comments:

Post a Comment