Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2015

I Plied All the Things

If you took a quick look at the pictures in today's post, you'd think I'd done nothing but spin in the past week. I did spend a fair amount of time at the wheel this week, but really what happened is that there was a three-day weekend last weekend plus I had a bunch of singles done that just needed to be plied. In other words, I had a plying party this week.

First, there was the coordinating skein to go with the one you saw last Sunday. This is Fat Cat Knits Targhee in Pepperspark -- the butterfly to go with last week's caterpillar. Like the first skein, it's fingering weight. This one is 274 yards.


And here's the pair together:


Once that skein was finished, I started plying the next two bobbins, which just happened to contain the next shipment of the FCK fiber club. These colors were called After the Fire and New Growth, representing the remains of a forest fire and then the rebirth of the forest. I spun both bobbins the same way: Each contained half of each color, spun end to end, and then the singles were chain plied. The fiber was 80% superwash merino/20% nylon, so naturally I decided to spin for socks. One skein will make each sock, and they should match, more or less.


In total, I have a little more than 500 yards, so my spinning was pretty consistent over both shipments and I was able to get roughly 100 yards per ounce of fiber.

I decided to throw something new on the wheel right away, though technically it's not really new. I bought this braid of Falkland last year at Maryland Sheep and Wool from Three Waters Farm. It's called Flowering Courtyard.


I've decided to spin another self-striping (sort of) sock yarn, so I split the top lengthwise into four pieces and am spinning them in order. I'm already about a quarter of the way through the singles.


There's been some fiber stash enhancement in the past week, but I'll save that for next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment