Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Yarn Therapy

It has been a very long, very exhausting week for me. Without getting too political, it's a hard time to be an American right now, and I've been utterly devastated by the current administration's policies toward immigrants in general and child immigrants in particular. I'm generally the type of person who is easily emotional, so you can imagine how emotional I've been the past several days as more and more heartbreaking information has come to light.

At times like these, when I feel anxious and sad and powerless, playing with yarn and fiber is a comfort. It seems frivolous, but it's good to know that I can always get out my knitting or my spinning and find a small measure of peace. So while I'll continue doing what I can to help those in need and fight against the injustices I see, when I become overwhelmed, I'll be turning back to crafting time and time again.

I am fortunate that at the moment my projects are fairly mindless, because frankly I have not had the mental energy to do anything more complicated than stockinette or some simple ribbing (I think that was perhaps the problem with the sweater shoulder the other night). And thanks to that, my latest pair of socks are off the needles as of earlier today.


Pattern: the toe-up version of my Non-Euclidian socks, currently in testing (to be released early next month)
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce (80% superwash merino/20% nylon) in It's Wine O'Clock Somewhere!
Needles: US 0 (2.0 mm) Addi Sock Rockets, 40 in., magic loop
Started/Completed: June 9/June 21

I made these slightly smaller than my first pair (68 stitches total rather than 72) because the first pair was just slightly loose. The stitch count was in between sizes for the pattern, so I had to adapt it slightly -- luckily I knew how to do that because it was my own pattern! The resulting fit is just perfect. The yarn came from Lisa's Happy Hour Sock Yarn Club, which has been quite enjoyable. The third and final shipment should be coming soon; as the first colorway was inspired by beer and the second by wine, I suspect the third will be inspired by a cocktail of some type.

My Boxy now has a second front shoulder, and I've done just a bit of knitting (a row or two) on the back. It will be my main project this weekend; we're going away for a long weekend with the Mister's parents and brother as a belated celebration for my father-in-law's 70th birthday. It looks like the weather isn't going to be very favorable to outside activities, so I should get a lot done. With any luck, all that knitting will help me relax a bit.


I hope that if you've been having a difficult week as well, you're able to find some relaxation and stress relief this weekend as well.


1 comment:

  1. I don't know what I would do without knitting these days. I am sending you peaceful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete