Pages

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Mojo Overload

It must be summer, because all I want to do lately is spin -- and I'm certainly doing a lot of it. Remember that pink bobbin from a week ago? Those singles only stayed on the bobbin overnight before being plied the next morning. I ended up chain plying in the interest of avoiding tangles, and frankly I like this skein as a nice, bouncy three ply.



It's mostly worsted weight (there's a bit at the end where I started spinning the singles that's a bit thinner) and approximately 184 yards. As this was spun specifically for Rainbow, she got to decide what it will become, and she's said she's pretty sure it should be a hat, perhaps combined with a neutral color (maybe some brioche with a natural wool?). I'm not casting on anything yet as we have quite a bit of time until a new hat will be needed and it's highly likely she'll change her mind by then, so for now I'm just enjoying this bright and happy skein.

On Friday afternoon, after taking a little nap, I pulled out some of my MDSW fleece, my hand cards, and my mini combs to do some sampling. As I was working with the fleece, it really became even more apparent what a spectacular fleece it is -- and now I have zero regrets about bringing it home! Despite the relatively short staple length, I was able to comb it a bit, though I did need to spin off a comb because I was not able to pull off any top. I spun up four samples in total (two each combed and carded), let the singles rest overnight, and then plied them Saturday morning -- chain plying one sample for each prep and Andean plying the other so that for each preparation method I'd have a two ply and a three ply.

Left to right: worsted two ply, worsted three ply, woolen two ply, woolen three ply
I'm honestly so enchanted by every one of these skeins that it's not making the decision of how to prep and spin the fleece any easier! A worsted-spun yarn will certainly be more durable, but I love the soft fuzz of the woolen-spun samples. The locks are likely a little too short to comb -- I can spin off a comb for a sample, but it would probably get pretty tedious for an entire fleece -- so I think I will likely use my drum carder to make batts and then spin the fiber semi-woolen, basically getting the best of both worlds.

Meanwhile, I've got a new spinning project on the wheel, some fiber that's so new I don't think I've even snapped a picture and put it in my Ravelry stash yet.


This is 70% BFL/30% Tussah silk from Southern Cross Fibre in a colorway called Windrose. It was the April 2018 fiber club shipment, which means I just got it last month (it takes a bit of time to work its way across the ocean from Australia). I decided to spin this fiber from end to end and chain ply, but in order to get more repeats of these beautiful autumnal colors, I split the top lengthwise first.


As you can see, I'm spinning these singles quite fine; I think the plied yarn should be in the range of fingering. It's practically spinning itself -- I'm already more than halfway through the singles and I only started spinning this yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful spinning! Have you tried flicking those locks? I have found that to be a quick way to spin worsted when the fiber is too short for hand combs. I flick up a basket and then spin, it goes fairly quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would flick them, but I'm trying to blend in the slightly lighter tips.

      Delete